마흔하나

forty-one

maheunhana

*GRAPHIC LANGUAGE AND DEPICTION OF ATTEMPTED RAPE.** 

It had been weeks. Since she'd seen him. Weeks since she'd heard a peep outside of the walls of Deoksugung palace. At first it had been fine but now...now it felt like a cold prison. The weeks spent here compared to her time in captivity were one and the same. The only difference was that she had silk clothes, silk shoes, and a luxurious bed to sleep on every night. Since arriving, her morning sickness had only increased and she found she could not keep anything down. She had tried to keep it from Anat but she'd caught the sight of a small but rounded bump during a mid-day change. She persisted that they return to the main palace but she couldn't. Not... not yet while she felt so miserable.

Her breasts were tender and sore and she found herself more emotional than normal. She tried telling herself that it was just the remnants of her cycle.. a cycle that had not come for weeks. You're with child Tiye. You're pregnant. Lifting shaky hands downward, she eyed her body as indeed it had begun to change. Caressing her tiny little bump, she felt tears well up in her eyes. She wanted...no...she needed her husband. To experience this alone...it...it devastated her.

"Lady Tiye?"

"What is it?"

"The Crown prince has arrived. Shall I prepare a room for him?" Her heart began to beat into her very ears and she turned, eyes wide with relief.

"Yes at once."

"Of course my lady."

"Anat!"

"Yes, Sister Tiye?"

"Help me get ready. Cheol-su has come." She lit up and hugged her.

"I'd be happy to."

***

Night had fallen and at last, she was ready. She'd soaked all day in baths of crushed petal and goat milk, had her entire body exfoliated and had her lady parts trimmed nice and neat. Her hair she'd requested to leave down, pulled back some, and unbraided. The only thing she asked was that it resembled small waves like that of the sea. She'd dressed in beautiful pink, red-purple, and crimson dress. A tasteful yet enticing V neckline covered enough of her fragranced skin and yet inspired curiosity. The whole ensemble resembled the sunset in the evening, just before night painted the sky black and the stars took to light up the atmosphere. A slender decorative belt outlined her waist. A gold necklace lined individually with a stone of the same color caressed her collarbone and earrings of the like dangled from her ears.