마흔일곱

maheunilgop

Forty-seven

Sounds of a baby wailing filled the Imperial Chambers and heavy-footed pacing finally stopped. The doors to the birthing room opened and out came a midwife.

"The child is male, Taewang-nim!" The held breath of his mother as it released was heard and Mishil bowed her head in thanks, her hands clasped so tightly together that she'd lost color.

"We greet the Crown Prince and congratulate you, our King!" The roar of his entire court spoke behind him and he with a tight throat accepted the wrapped baby, who wailed in displeasure.

"How is the Queen?"

"She is exhausted. Her birthing wasn't easy." As was customary, he inspected the child, opening the blanket to reveal the proof of his gender. Eyes drifted across every nook and cranny of his son's tiny body, finding nothing but perfection. Five fingers and five toes. Already, he displayed his temperament which made his smile turn into laughter. Enclosing him back into the warmth of the blanket, he lifted his eyes towards the midwife. Glancing down at the scrunched little face, he motioned for the woman to take the child from him.

"I will see her, now."

"Of course." As the doors closed behind them, the voices of his court boomed once more.

"We thank the Queen for her dedication to serving His Majesty in this way. We wish that she rests well and grows healthy once again!"

***

"Bring my child to me... please." Her tired voice pleaded. Upon seeing him turn the corner, she began to sob. As if able to sense his mother's distress, the child began to wail in his arms. Too weak to lift from the bed, her arms outstretched, reaching.

"Cheol-su..." A name forbidden by anyone to speak by law. A man dead only to live again, with the words of her mouth.

"Yes, my sweet one." Approaching closer, he gave his wife what she requested and watched as she cradled him to her chest filled him with unexplainable emotion. Miraculously, their son stopped crying the moment he was removed from the blanket and placed against her engorged breast. Nuzzling there, a loud sucking noise revealed the cause of his wailing. As fatigued as she was, she smiled prettily at the child she'd brought into the world and supplied what he desired, a nipple.

"You have your father's appetite. Ah!" Wincing at the sharp suckling, she felt tears well up in her eyes as he relaxed against her, devouring his meal with healthy vigor. She could not stop herself, gently drifting a finger down across his feather-soft cheek, the small button of flesh he had for a nose complete with tiny nostrils. A warm heavy hand fell to caress her hair, once neatly braided in a single plait, now messy and loose. Letting his fingers tighten and grip the mass of hair, he pressed his forehead against hers.