여섯

Yeseot

(six)

Spring 1033

Five gathered in the library, an expansive roll of parchment spread across one of the tables. The light of mid morning filled the room.

"We haven't figured out how we are to get our caravan across the mountains. The horses will not survive. Hell, we won't survive."

"Not to mention the mountains are prime Mongol territory. Thieves, criminals, troupes of ragtag gangs favor them as well."

"We must find another way to get to the Palace." All of them had spoken but one. Lifting eyes from the paper, he spoke.

"Tiye, what are your thoughts?" She looked up from the paper.

"I shouldn't have a say on this...it's not my call." Standing up, he hadn't let her escape his gaze, coming to stand right in front of her.

"I asked for your thoughts Tiye. Not what you think you have a right or don't have a right to." Blushing, she cleared her throat and finally wiggled her tail away from him, coming to stand center of the table.

"This territory is as foreign to us as ours is to theirs. But, allow me to ask you all something. How is that the Mongols have successfully attempted invasion in a land they know nothing about?" The men grew silent.

"Spies." She answered with a small smile.

"That's obvious." The man named Mal-Chin scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"So obvious that you remained silent." He retorted with a glare, one that dared him to show her another ounce of disrespect.

"Continue." He urged, letting his eyes fall on her. She gave a nod of thanks.

"Our trip is planned for this upcoming summer. Would it not benefit us to have knowledge of the roadways, mountain passes and rivers? Wet and dry land? Where best to hunt and where best to make our camp? Right now, we are doomed before we even start. It's foolish to charge in there demanding to have an audience with Emperor Renzong. On their home land." He nodded, coming to stand beside her.

"She's absolutely right."

"Wangja-nim, how do you propose we gather up a spy and send them to Song within enough time? If we were going to do that, it should have been done by now." The other man named Sang-Ook countered, hands firmly clasped behind his back. Glancing at the markers he'd placed on the map, he clenched his jaw.

"I will come up with something." The three men sighed and were relieved when they were dismissed. Lowering herself into the chair behind her, she let out a loud exasperated sigh.

"It seems I have a lot to prove being on this team." She said with an eye roll.

"The men aren't used to you...to a woman with more than a pretty face." Coming back towards the desk, he leaned down, hands pressed on the wood.

"That's why your voice will be heard every opportunity that presents itself."

"Even if they do not wish to hear it?" He smirked some, lifting a hand to rest on top of her head.