여덟

Yeoldeol

Eight

Summer 1033

It was early in the morning, dusk still in the sky when they'd set out through the east gate. A band of men had met them there, members of the royal guard that had been hand picked by the King himself to escort them. Up until now, he hadn't focused too much on anything negative but as he observed how Dong-Il seemed nervous, nostrils flared and a shake of his head here and there, ears pointed straight up he began to feel unsettled.

"Wangja-nim?" Turning his gaze towards Tiye, he offered a small smile.

"What are your thoughts eolin-i?"

"Nothing....trying to see how you feel."

"I'm fine. Ready to get this over with and come back home." She nodded as she glanced back towards another person who was approaching. Following her gaze, he frowned and stopped Dong-Il altogether.

"Who is this woman?" He asked Tiye, voice showing his displeasure.

"She is-"

"I am Hae. Yi Hae." Her face had been hidden in a blue scarf, delicate hanbok traded for a military style, sure to have come borrowed from one of the guards. One such man paled as he turned.

"Hae...what are you doing here?" Sang-Ook hissed, lips pinched tightly. Swallowing, he intensely watched as the man trotted over to the woman who was not to be moved.

"I will not go back. Not until you are with me."

"Hae,"

"No! I will not leave."

"Wangja-nim...I told her she could accompany us." Sliding eyes over to her, he tightened his grip on Dong-Il's reins.

"Will she prove worth your vouching?" The slightest pinch of doubt traveled up onto her face but it was enough to increase the unsettled feeling in his stomach.

"We don't have time to turn back. Not now. Woman," He faced her.

"Do not get in our way. Should you do so, I will cut you down." She swallowed thickly but she nodded, glancing at her man's upset expression.

"Come. Let's ride." Slapping the reins firmly, Dong-Il set off into a full run and soon the others followed suit.

***

It took them a week to make it to the Sino-Korean border and once they made it, they took their rest. Wangja-nim was adamant about making it there in the time agreed between both Kingdoms so they wouldn't rest for long. Reaching for a small bunch of carrots, she smiled as Dong-Il greedily chowed on them, selecting to munch on the whole bunch rather than one at a time.

"Easy now Dong-Il. They aren't going anywhere." The horse snorted his answer as he soon ate enough to take the bunch away from her. The sun was high and by the setting it was high noon. Dust curled up around them, the familiar capital they had left long behind.

"Tiye." Turning, she found Hae behind her, leaning against one of the trees.

"What is it?"