스물

Seumul

(twenty)

"How did you come to find me?"

"Wangja-nim of course." Clutching her fingers together tightly, she eyed the man who she called comrade.

"I see."

"He will come to you. Just be patient."

"Why?"

"Why? Why what?"

"Why did you follow his orders? Why didn't you try to convince him to let me go?" The man frowned at her questions but eventually relaxed his features, handsome and charming otherwise.

"Had it been Hae...I believe he would have done the same thing." She let that fact dwell in her mind for the briefest moment.

"Can you be so sure? This after all is the man by whom Hae-ah is bound to by law. Do you not resent him for taking your woman when he so chooses?" At that, he laughed some, the action shocking her.

"Have you no faith in the man you love?" She eyed him as he sat back comfortably against some cushions.

"I've known Wangja-nim for a short while now. In that time, I've seen that he has a heart for people. For those in need. For his country." She swallowed thickly as Yoo-shik continued,

"He and I are more alike than you'd think." Looking down at his hands, he opened the palm of his hand and looked at it.

"He does not intend to hurt me by bedding Hae. She and I both know that his hands are tied just as much as hers are. It is not my place to object or intervene. Besides, it is not her heart or her body he desires. It is yours. Of that I am certain." Feeling her cheeks warm, she looked away. Lifting his eyes, he fixed an intense stare on her.

"He loves you and he will do whatever he must to keep you by his side. Of that I too am certain." She licked her lips but gave a little nod which brought a smile to his face.

"You trust me on the battle field. You think you can find it within yourself to trust me on home land too?" He asked with a laugh. Pursing her lips playfully, she sucked her teeth.

"Hm. Well...I thank you for coming to save me. I appreciate it." The two paused at the sound of the door opening. Her heart beat faster as she was met with another set of eyes. His eyes.

"Are these the people you seek to find sir?" The inn keeper asked beside him.

"Yes. Thank you." Butterflies danced in her stomach as he approached, lowering a hand over and across her braids.

"There you are eolin-i." She brought his hand to rest upon her cheek, overcome with sudden emotion. Her eyes watered and her chin trembled but she didn't withdraw her gaze.

"Here I am." Throat tight, he turned eyes onto Yoo-shik who upon witnessing the scene before him smirked with his arms crossed.

"Thank you."

"You've no need to thank me...Cheol-su-ah." Slowly standing, he brushed imaginary dust from his clothes.

"I suppose I should make it back to the Palace now."