서른넷

Seoreunnet

Thirty-four

Nightmare. It's all one big nightmare.

***

Blood splattered across earth and life surrendered up to the clutches of death.

***

Open your eyes. See the stars. See the moon and her glow.

***

The shriek of horses jolted him awake and up he sat, heart pounding wildly in his chest. Head to toe he dripped in sweat as if he'd been in one of the hot mists of a Kushite sauna. But as much as he burned, the appearance of gooseflesh prickled his skin, raising every such hair. There. Again. A horse's outcry and yet it sounded one of distress... as if the beast was trying to warn him... tell him. Danger. His stomach turned and the urge to vomit rose within his gut but he didn't. Instead, he turned to find his once asleep wife looking up at him, eyes alert. Eyes so uncanny and mystical and real. She said not a word as she lifted.

Placing a hand on his chest, she seemed to speak a silent language, one he felt, understood and communicated in return with a brush of his fingers against cheek. She swallowed thickly and at once began to get up and dress. Silently, they both moved, the morning in all its stillness an illusion of peace. Peace was not to become the Palace on this day. As fingers took hold of a geom, his throat tightened. Instead, a new era would begin.

***

"Hae.."

"You heard it too."

"Shh." Serious eyes darted around her, surveying the many winds and paths around the two women.

"I can't help but feel as though they are here." Tiye spoke very low and quiet, careful.

"I agree." Hae nodded, lips pinching slightly.

"But who? Who has led us to their table of slaughter?"

"You think someone helped them Tiye-ah?" She knew it didn't make sense but her spirit never lied. Her gut always lead her right and it told of a conspirator.

"We have to wake the women." She pressed, taking hold of her friend's hands.

"Wake them. Prepare them. Get them ready. Today we shall fight for our lives and for the Kingdom."