마흔여덟

maheunyeodeol

Forty-eight

**explicit consensual s*x warning** 

There were two sets of annuls, kept in the Imperial Palace. One was kept in the official register. It praised the King, praised his achievements accomplished in his tenure. It spoke highly of his Queen, her deeds unto the people nearly worshipped in some parts of the area. Mother to the Nation, she was known as wise, diplomatic, and intelligent. Her influence was known from Goryeo to Song, England, and Italy, even France.

With all of this, there remained a second annul. One who displayed a different portrayal of the King who sat on the Throne and of his foreign-born wife. Documented were offenses, sins that were too grave to permit forgiveness. This one came with the ideas of the greatest man ever to live, some would tell it. He had the sure sign of a King and had he been able to reign, it was believed that great prosperity would have come to their land. And so, yet another entry upon entry was written, waiting for the day when it too would be displayed to the public that they would make their own decision.

***

1044

"Auntie Kkot-bi?"

"Yes, my little fish?"

"Mommy's belly is big." Smiling at the child, the woman knelt and hugged the prince close.

"Yes, it is."

"What's inside of it?"

"Your brother or sister." The boy's eyes grew wide in disbelief.

"Like you and me?" It was a pity that the child's pretty black curls were hidden by the small hat with rounded wings on his head.

"Yes, like you and me."

"What do they do in there?"

"They sleep." Fascination lit the prince's face aglow and it made her laugh.

"Like the ducks you like so much. The mother ducks carry the baby ducks inside of her body too, like your mommy."

"Ah," Content with the information, the child sat back against her in her lap, giggling as she lightly tapped his legs.

***

The court was packed to the brim, officials all in a position to welcome and receive the King. Daechwita from afar announced his arrival. Heads and bodies remained bowed as the cry of his entry echoed off of the walls.