스물하나

Seumulhana

(twenty-one)

A sturdy hand helped her step down the docks and she took in the warm air and golden horizon. The familiar scent of spices filled her nostrils. Eyes watched as people varying in different shades of brown moved to and fro some standing at stands with exotic foreign goods, others with fresh caught fish and more local fares. It was a sight she never thought she'd see again.

"What is this place?" Turning towards the men who had brought her to these shores, she felt emotion rise in her chest and smiled.

"Adulis. The port city in the Southern most part of Kush."

"Ah. Busy place. I guess all port towns are like this huh?"

"I suppose so."

"Tiye." Facing her love who emerged from the ships's lower bunk, she felt her heart thump against her chest.

"Hm?"

"We are in the right place yes?"

"It's not too much further out." Pleased with her answer, he clasped hands with the captain.

"Thank you."

"It is nothing Wangja-nim." At that, both of them paused and a grin slowly formed on the faces of the men.

"No common man would have the wealth to stock our hold with as many goods as you did. Nor would they have the royal seal stamped on such fine celedon."

"I...thought I kept it well hidden."

"Just how long have you been planning this?" She asked, bringing her eyes up to his.

"Long enough." He answered, grin forming.

"We figured this was the rumored slave you took in your care."

"Her freedom has been given to her. Slave she is no more." At that, tears welled up in her eyes and her throat grew tight.

"Why have you traveled all this way to see that your servant be freed? Have you no more need for her?" A strange look came over him and it sent a pain straight to her heart.

"The decision you've feared has come sarang. The choice you must make."

"Don't be foolish." She spoke firmly, making the men around him stiffen. He, though, only stood there amongst his countrymen, eyes intense.

"You will come with me. To my home. You will see my brothers. My sisters. Drink of my land and enjoy her spoils. All this in thanks for having kept your promise."

"Is she allowed to talk to him like that?" One of the men whispered in surprise.

"She's still standing so I guess so."

"Tiye..."

"You," She addressed the men of the ship.

"Take these." Reaching up, she unraveled three or four of her gold beads, pressing them into the hand of the captain.

"These should enable you and your crew to have comfortable accommodations while here as well as eat a good meal. Have no fear, people from all over dwell here in Adulis. Someone from Goryeo will be here. All you have to do is look." Smiling at them, she bowed in thanks.