열둘

Yeoldul

(twelve)

Sweat beaded up on pearl skin and moans once soft now drifted past the doors into the hallway. A pair of brown feet stood by said door as she listened to the grievous sounds, heart twisting painfully in her chest. Months had passed. Since the festival. Since the rage of the Wangja and her humiliation. Over the course of those months, Wang Cheol Su had turned eighteen summers. He'd seemingly let the rebellious phase of his younger years go and his reputation was now widely known in and out of the Palace. A man who cared for his People. Would not hesitate to shed blood for his People.

The sounds from the woman increased in pitch and tempo before they grew silent. And it was at that moment that she pulled herself away from the door, throat so tight it hurt. Much had changed since they'd returned. Dignitaries from Song had come and gone, the alliance between the two Kingdoms solid. All that remained was the coronation. Set to take place the following year, moves were put in motion and much planning had begun to take place.

It had been months since anyone had seen him. Her. Together. The glimpses she had caught of him were with Jae Hwa and she tried not to interfere much. His consort forced her away...demanding that other female servants attend to him should the need arise. She couldn't protest, complain or dare challenge the orders. Instead, she found herself crammed into the kitchen or spending time in the harem with the other women who she'd come to know fondly. They had taken her in their care if you will and in the time that had passed, she had learned things about the art of femininity and her body that she hadn't before. Korean femininity and that of her people were different and yet parts remained remarkably the same.

***

"You've got it right."

"Like this?"

"Yep." Holding a multicolored fan, she mimicked the movement of one of the gisaeng.

"Good Tiye. The way you dance... it's mesmerizing."

"Is it?"

"Yeah. You move differently. Like you hold water in your hips." At that, she bust out laughing and covered her face with the fan.

"Hips that hold water hm?"

"If I moved like you, perhaps I could own my own brothel. Or own a small farm in my hometown." One of the other gisaeng commented, watching as she swayed back and forth. She grinned, closing the fan and handing it to Hae.

"How many of you are set to start your cycles?" The one known as Jae-Ri asked, lips pursed. A few raised their hands.

"Make sure you mark it down! Let us pray that you've cleaned their male fluids from you thoroughly." Hae pouted, wrapping an arm around her.

"I don't know about you but I'm about to eat a horse."

"I second that." She said with a laugh, her stomach growling in agreeance.

"You want to see if Myung-hee has spared any scraps?"

"I'm not eating after her. She's a pig!" Sun-Mi replied, nose scrunched in disgust.

"It's a wonder that she hasn't been arrested or taken to the lash yet." Hae snorted, linking arms with her.

"Myung-hee has been with this family for years. They're not gonna get anybody else that they trust to cook their meals. She's as good as it gets around here. Even with her swiping food." As they were about to head out, some came through the door having just got back from excursions and work related activities. They took off their jeoduris, collapsed on their pallets, some even squat over a bronze pan and flushed water up into their insides to clean themselves.