마흔

forty

maheun

    "Where is Cheol-su?"

"He's in the medical ward."

"Ah..."

"He requested the medical examiner to examine Jae-hwa." Hae's lips were pinched and her arms crossed.

"That sneaky bitch. How dare she..."

"It is expected of her." Her reply.

"And to think that the king actually agreed to go along with her little scheme."

"It wouldn't be the first time. He did conspire with her to sell me into slavery. This isn't beneath him." Furious, Hae hissed and grabbed her arm, pulling her close.

"To think that you have less than a week left. How could wangja-nim agree to this?!"

"He hasn't agreed to anything."

"And yet he will allow you to be taken away from him." She clucked her tongue.

"Come now Hae-ah. You know that my husband has a plan." That seemed to calm her emotions and she bit the inside of her cheek before revealing a smile.

"Indeed dearest. I know he does."

"Let's go find Anat. Knowing her, she's somewhere spying on Young-ho."

"That boy student you like so much?"

"She's taken a real liking to him. She'd never admit it but she really fancies him."

"And he? I thought he had the hots for you and you alone." Tiye snort and rolled her eyes as they rounded the corner. The sound of laughter soon met the wind.

***

He hadn't moved. He had stood against the wall adjacent the medic tent for going on forty minutes straight and his legs had not even tired in the slightest. Some of the female attendants gawked at him, others stole glances at him in passing. It had been a long time since he'd been in this sector. This time was even more important that the first, as the lives of both he and the women he was in company with hung in the balance.

"Pyeha..."

"What is it?"

"Would you like to come in?"