열하나

Yeolhana

(eleven)

** This chapter will include traditional Korean and Afrobeat performances. Videos will be placed at the bottom of the chapter as to not disturb the chapter.** 

The gates opened and in the five of them trotted only to receive a collective cry of joy. He held fast as Dong-Il galloped further inside until he reached the main palace courtyard. There stood his father and there was more grey in his hair and beard than there had been before he'd left. My, how the months had changed him. Changed them both.

"Cheol-Su-ah..." He stepped forward to hug him.

"Welcome back my son. Welcome home." He didn't move to hug him back but he leaned onto him a little, accepting the touch.

"Oh thank the heavens!" His mother rushed forward and crushed him in a tight hug.

"My darling boy...I heard what happened..." Mishil stood next to their mother, waiting for a turn. There off in the corner stood Hyung-nim. Feeling his jaw grow tight, he leaned down to kiss her cheeks and those of their younger sister.

"What happened you say?" He asked, lifting eyes to his eldest brother.

"We were told that you were attacked by a band of thieves! I cannot imagine the fright you must have endured! I told your Father not to let you go." Thieves they said. Hm.

"I went and I returned. Are you not proud of me?"

"Of course I am! My darling boy." As she pulled him away, she praised him for finally starting to let his hair grow, the strands nearing his shoulders.

"Are you not happy to see your brother Seo Jun? You've not said a word since he arrived." Their father commented, eyes shrewd and lips tight. He looked like a tea pot that was set to boil over, red face included. Approaching him, he outstretched his hand.

"Welcome home little brother. It's good to see you made it back to us unharmed and safe." Swallowing the lump in his throat, he only gave him a nod, forgoing any form of physical contact. If he touched him, he'd take him down.

"It's good to be home Hyung-nim. Very good indeed."

"Cheol-Su. Come. Let us talk." The command came from his father and he pulled away from the rest of his family, chest tight. Oh yes, things most definitely had changed in his absence and they would never again be the same.

***

Hae collapsed on her bed with a content sigh.

"Thank gods we are home! That bed from Song was hurting my back like crazy." She chuckled at the woman who lifted a fist to pound her back playfully.

"Thank gods for Korean soil hm?"

"Yes. Gods yes." Smiling at her, she pushed up her hair that she had fashioned in small single braids. The golden twine she'd weaved through the hair.

"So?"

"So what?"

"You left here a girl of seventeen summers and you've returned now a woman of battle."