서른아홉

thirty nine

Seoreunahop

The light from the lantern cast shadows over the face of the man, highlighting grey strands in a beard that once was fully black. Fingers held up a piece of parchment and eyes read the few lines again.

I humbly plead you for your assistance. I trust that regardless of what come and what hasn't our alliance still stands. Let our hands once again unite for the interests of our great nations.

Upon reading it, he instantly knew who the owner of the neat prompt handwriting had been. The son of the dragon. He who had galloped into his gates bloodied with eyes full of fire and steel. That mighty boy had grown up into a full-fledged man now and yet his presence...the sheer force of his aura had remained the same.

"Huangdi..." Lifting eyes upward to his faithful advisor Xiutao, he placed the paper down on the table.

"The prince of Goryeo has requested assistance against the enemy that defeated us." Xiutao's eyes grew wide.

"What good can we do to those who defeated us?" He too had once thought the same way regrettably. However...Was it in his nature to admit defeat? Was it of his nation to give in all too easily and sit quietly while others ruled his land?

"Does fear rule you enough that you will allow a foreigner to rule our lands and milk her of her spoils?" He had remembered who he was.

"No...no sire." Any other answer would have resulted in death. Though another man sat on his throne and believed himself to be appointed by the Gods, he and those around him knew better.

"Good. Send word to Chenwai. He will know what to do."

"Yes sire. At once."

***

"How do you feel?"

"Much better." Tiye smiled and reached for a woman's hand.

"Hae...I am glad you did not leave us." The woman smiled in return, clutching her fingers tightly.

"It was not my time to die Tiye-ah. You know that." The two women embraced and Tiye laid her head against the woman's chest.

"It's been two months since the attack and it has been all too quiet. I don't like it." Hae lifted a hand and ran it across her hair.

"They suffered losses the same as we did. They need time to recuperate too."