서른셋

Seoreunset

thirty-three

Fingers were pulled back but not tight enough. The digits began to tremble and the string of the bow threatened to snap.

"Pull back harder! You must pull back harder...tighter."

"Tiye eonnie....it's...it's hard..." Without warning, the bow snapped, bringing a shriek to the girl. Blood oozed out from her finger and began to drip onto the ground. At once, the older woman pressed the end of her sleeve against the wound, squeezing hard to prevent any more blood flow. The expression of the woman was that of defeat and shame. Smiling down at the girl, Tiye shook her head.

"Don't do that now. It's a mistake that we all at one point make. Keep going. You'll improve." Pouting, the woman nodded, eyes teary.

"Tiye-eonnie....can you help me please?" Turning towards another novice, she smiled some.

"Sure."

***

Two men stood by, watching the women as they trained...as they taught.

"Sang-Ook has betrayed you pyeha." Eyes took in two women in particular... expression serious.

"Has he?"

"Somehow the first born has convinced him to forsake our friendship and our camaraderie. That time in Song..."

"Has he exposed your relationship with Hae-ah?"

"Not yet...I'm grateful to him for having kept our secret...but that may indeed change."

"Mm."

"Do you not worry pyeha? All around you there exist enemies desiring your end."

"It is not my end that I fear Yoo-shik. It is leaving my country knowing that my dream for the people was never realized." The gravity of his words struck his friend deep in the chest.