열다섯

*traditional Korean performance and an African inspired performance will be attached below as to not distrb the chapter*

*explicit depictions of love making within. Be forwarned.*

Yeoldaseot

(fifteen)

Her earrings were light in her ears and her chima had been tailored just right to fit her shape. The full skirt billowed out every step she took and she left her feet bare. Her braids were pulled up away from her face, the gold beads he'd gifted her adorning them. Anklets produced a sweet soft tinkle when she took a step.

"Tiye-ah?" Looking up, she saw Hae standing in the doorway and smiled toward the woman.

"Hm?" She replied, soft inviting smile on her lips.

"Everyone is enjoying themselves. Will you not too?"

"I intend to."

"On this night of a full moon, your prince awaits you."

"As does his consort. The King and Queen and his relatives. I shall entertain them all."

"Yes but when you dance, dance as though he is the only one in the room." Hae took her hand.

"Give yourself permission my dear friend."

"Permission for what?" Smiling, she began to lead her towards the door.

"Permission to let yourself feel what you know in your heart to be true." As she pulled her into the room full of royalty, of officers, their wives, King, Queen and their courts... only one stole her breath and she feared that on this night, she might never get it back.

***

"So you've trained her as a gisaeng?" They all watched as she sat on the floor, gayageum soon placed on her lap.

"This is completely laughable. How can you think that someone like her understands our culture? Our way of living? Our music?" Jae-Hwa scoffed, lips pinched tightly as she began to tune the instrument.

"Why not?" Mishil countered, eyes lighting up with interest.

"I thought you hated her too." Jae-Hwa complained, pouting childishly.

"While I don't care much for her, I must say that her spirit is admirable." They all turned to look at her again.

"She's made do with what she has been given and Oppa-nim has rewarded her for that."

"Hm."

"She'll never be one of us. But she is the one who helped bring him back home to us all from Song's disaster. She's even tamed his temper wouldn't you say?"

"What temper?" He teased, smirking at his sister. Jae-Hwa narrowed her eyes but said nothing more as she began to play suddenly, stroking the strings delicately. To her displeasure, he'd had her attend gisaeng training. The idea had tickled him until it had to be put into motion. She learned fast and dance was as natural to her as breathing. He'd entrusted Hae with the training and had secretly attended some of the trainings himself. To say he was pleased would be a vast understatement. He was shaping her into someone she had always been destined to be... from the start. Full of intellect and beauty, wit and charm, grit and endurance.