스물넷

Seumulnet

Twenty-four 

1039 A.D

A loud yawn filled the hall and tired disinterested eyes scanned the many court officials who had unceremoniously roused him from his sleep.

"Seo Jun Wangja-nim...should we begin the meeting?" Pursing his lips, the man sat back in his chair, one clothed in the finest silk and a plush pillow.

"Let's get this over with."

***

"He's not done a bad job so far hm?" Young but calculating eyes turned onto a man, a man who had cast his bid for her hand.

"Who?" 18-year-old Mishil knew who. However, she was loathe to say his name.

"Your oppa-nim."

"Hm."

"Come now little flower. It's been three years and you're still upset at him? He did you a favor." Pinching her lips, she eyed the man whose gaze grew more and more lascivious every time they crossed paths.

"Instead of bothering me, I suggest you get back to work. Whatever that may be." Grinning at her spike in attitude, he winked at her and drew away from her. Lifting hands to the freshly painted red banister, she curled her fingers around it, nails soon embedding themselves into the wood. Indeed it had been three years. Three since Cheol-su had vanished with the slave woman. Three years since Seo Jun had risen to power in the military, using his connection to the King to exploit, pillage, murder and take hold of every female he could get his hands on. And a year and half since he'd taken away the very thing she'd treasured most. Of which, she determined she would never forgive him.

"Highness," Turning she found a gungnyeo standing there, head bowed before her, hands pressed stiffly against her abdomen.

"What is it?"

"Her Majesty the Queen summons you." Swallowing up the resentment and pain, she adopted a blank expression as she was ushered into her mother's chambers. Bowing before her, she kept her eyes at the floor.

"Lift up your eyes daughter." Tightening her jaw, she did.

"How have you need of me Mother?" The woman smiled and her expression was of the greatest fondness. Fondness she knew would be erased should she know just what she'd done.

"Are you done playing with the fish?"

"The...fish Mother?"

"Toying with that young man." Her breath caught in her throat.

"What...young man?"

"Seok-jae-ah." Releasing it, she once again bowed her head.

"You have taught me not to play with my food dearest Mother. Toy with him I do not." At that, she laughed.

"It's been three years Mishil. When are you going to concede? He's a nice boy."

"He has gotten this far from the connections and the position of his father. Rumor has it that he is a drunk and womanizer. Should he wed me, he has that much closer view of the throne, Seo Jun oppa-nim and Cheol-su oppa-nim."Her mother grew quiet.