마흔다섯

forty-five

forty-five

maheundaseot

Flames cast an orange glow on the stone, soldiers stood at their posts swords at the ready. The sound of the drum ricocheted into the night, slicing through the very air. A man stepped forward followed by a host of armed men. Some were dressed as members of the royal guard...others in foreign garments. One thing was certain. They marched proudly behind him.

"Pyeha..." Serious eyes turned to Yooshik who came to stand beside him.

"It's time."

"We've paid our warriors respect for their sacrifices. Let us now celebrate them."

"Yes pyeha."

***

"Have you heard?"

"Heard what?" Brown fingers combed through her hair, picked up the last of the hair, and began to braid.

"The King stripped Seo Jun of his military title and gave it to Cheol-su-ssi."

"Aren't we mighty familiar with him now?" The group of women laughed amongst themselves.

"Serves the bastard right. After all he's done. It's a miracle that the King spared him this long."

"The only thing that has saved him has been that he is a prince and of royal blood. Anyone else would have been boiled alive or quartered."

"Hm..."

"The Crown Prince has always had a knack for military tactics, hasn't he? It's only natural that he does well. He's been bred for this after all." She smiled as she listened to the women talk, closing her eyes as Anat finished the braid at last.

"It's amazing Tiye-ah..."

"Hm?" Opening her eyes, she found five pairs of eyes on her, watching Anat's hands twist and turn.

"How she plaits your hair like that. It's so pretty."

"Wah...it's so neat." The two women from Kush chuckled amongst themselves.

"If you would like, I can braid your hair as well sister from another land." Blinking, they looked at Anat in confusion.

"Anat offered to braid your hair the same as mine. She's extending peace to you."

"Ahh...thank you Anat-ah."

"You...are...trustworthy..."

"Trustworthy?"