마흔열

fifty 

 maheunyeol 

  Feet trudged on as the terrain steadily growing more and more hilly. Time seemed to stop and the world started to blur.

"Stop." Feet paused.

"Drink."

"We have to keep-"

"Drink." Hands took the offered canteen and drank some of the contents, sighing in relief.

"Where are we?"

"I don't know."

"Where are we going?" The top was re-fastened and given back.

"Somewhere safe."

***

He'd given her instructions. Go to the place we first met.

The gallop of a horse sounded in the night, the trees and road covered under the veil of darkness.

Take my brother.

"Noona... where are we going? Why are we going away from Hyung-nim?"

Take the Crown Prince and Princess.

A bundle was tied to her chest, inside an infant less than a year. Thankful that she kept quiet, she cracked the reins, pushing the horse to run faster.

Hide and wait for me.

"Auntie Kkot-bi, I'm scared. Where's mommy?" Sweat beaded up against her hairline.

"I'll explain later. Hold tight to each other so you don't fall." Sitting in opposite directions with her in between, the smaller of the two boys gripped the other's hanbok tighter. All were silent as the beast brought them further and further away from the palace.

***

It all crumbled. The Throne for the first time in over 600 years was vacant, the King who once sat upon it gone. Chaos rose up like the ember of flames and the angel of death, should he have his way, would stain the inner walls of the Palace red with blood.

***

Red. Red, rich and vibrant like thick paint splattered everywhere, leaked and oozed out from the bodies. It was their time anyhow. She had been so beautiful in her younger years, fresh-faced and virginal. Yet, one thing that had never changed was her eyes. How stern snd serious they had been even from that young age. And he, he had been strong and virile, handsome and ambitious. Smooth plump skin of youth. Now, it made lips smile at how weak they appeared, how... terribly un-godlike. How human.