서른일곱

Seoreunilgop

Seoreunilgop

thirty-seven

Days. It had been days. They had taken turns keeping watch but by the end fatigue always won. After three days, Seo Jun had refused to go another minute standing guard and complained about his wounded calvary. He awakened the fourth morning to find him gone. His jaw tight as he lifted from the makeshift pallet of court seats and climbed the stairs. Eying the empty throne, he turned to face the entirety of the room. As exhausted as he was, he would not surrender.

Sitting down, he placed the long sword against his chest and sat still, eyes trained on the entry ways. A bitter taste rose in his mouth and he swallowed it down. Seo Jun would tuck tail and run. He hadn't expected much out of him to begin with. It was a wonder he lasted as long as he did. The thought almost made him laugh. He coveted the throne so much but he couldn't even do something as simple as protect it? Bastard.

Sighing, he cleared his throat and sat up straighter. God he was so tired. His body begged him to rest...Still fresh from sleep, he blinked his eyes furiously, struggling not to let them droop. They had started to close anyway when his ears picked up a faint bang. Faint. Quiet. He heard it again, this time much louder. The sound jolted him awake and his eyes grew alert. The sound of jing cut through the silence of the morning. Nabal and nagak pierced the air. Daechwita. That meant...The sounds married together so beautifully and yet even in the midst there was an overwhelming sorrow. The sound of feet marching seemed to close in on all four sides of him. He moved not as the instruments stopped. The army was sure to have arrows ready and soldiers with sword in hand... not sure like he of the danger on the other side.

He began to get up when the doors were pushed open. He immediately paused as the troops rushed in. They knelt, aiming at him.

"Pyeha!"

"Who dwells inside?" He heard the voice of his father inquire.

"The Crown Prince stands guard over the throne pyeha!" His heart beat so fast inside of his chest he thought that it was sure to come out. He lowered the sword and laid it on the ground, lifting eyes to see those belonging to his father widen on him.

"Cheol-su?" Tightening his jaw, he fell to the ground in a bow.

"Disarm!" At once the soldiers did and the King passed them all, drawing closer and closer to him until all he could see were his black boots.

"How long have you been here?"

"Three nights and four mornings."

"Your brother?"