서른하나

Seoreunhana

thirty-one

** WARNING: RAPE. If triggered, you are free to skip the chapter**

The cold of winter chilled to the bone, the wind whipping violently through the small dilapidated houses. But one such person was up. His feet were quiet as he walked, following another set of footsteps laying a path further up ahead. Silky black hair drifted into his face and white icy frost coated his thick long lashes. Feet much bigger than those of the one who travelled here before, his footprint ruined the otherwise delicate shape in the snow with a slight crunch. Shimmery white glimmers twinkled up all around him and for a moment, he reveled in the beauty of the season. It was a shame that soon the beauty would turn to bloodshed.

***

"Where is Tiye?" Looking up into the friendly yet rosy face of Brother Sekhemrekhutawy, Anat smiled in return to his.

"She decided to go into the people's sector."

"To do what?"

"To feed the children Brother." Accepting her answer, he relaxed and leaned back against the pillows to his seat.

"Why didn't you go with her? I'm sure you would have enjoyed the early morning walk." To that she smiled deeper and shook her head.

"No. It's too cold. How Lady Tiye has endured this cold so far from home is beyond me. It's unnatural." He laughed, pretty white teeth gleaming.

"Give it a while. You will adjust." She sucked her teeth and pursed her lips.

"So you say."

"Eat Anat."

"But this is not for me."

"Don't be ridiculous. Between you and I there is no station, no status to separate us. We are friends right?"

"Yes..."

"And now family. So the food I have is for you. Eat." He pushed some fresh godeungeo-gui, miyeok-guk and bap her way. Watching as she slowly accepted, lifting the shiny silver spoon of broth to her lips, he felt pleased in the look of approval that drifted up on her face. Anat had not been easy to please; the food, clothing and way of life much harder to accept. It had been but two weeks since their arrival back home and already she had complained to Tiye that she wanted to go back home. Smirking as she twisted up her nose at the miyeok, he resumed his meal as well, soon escorting her to the door.