마흔여섯

Maheunyeoseot

Forty-six

1041

Byeolgung

Early morning light streamed into the windows and the light from the flame had been nearly extinguished. Her eyes had grown tired from reading, the pages beneath her seeming to run together. Yawning quietly, she blew out the flame and closed the book. Glancing over, she found Anat laying on her bed, deep in sleep. She'd tried her hardest to stay awake and the image of her fighting off fatigue throughout the night made her smile. Getting up from the low table, she slowly made her way to the large plush bed. Carefully, she lowered herself down. Laying back against the pillows filled with feathers, she gently wrapped an arm around Anat and snuggled closer towards her. Yawning again, she felt sleep fall upon her.

***

45 days. That's how long they'd been in this place. Brown eyes settled on her sovereign's face fondly. In slumber, her expression was soft and at peace. Something that reminded of her of when they had been but girls...back in their homeland. Smiling, she closed her eyes, having pressed her face against the chest of the woman. When it had been but them two...when all others were frightened to approach her... only she had been by her side. Only she had been her friend. She'd had to learn early how to best protect her.

So many nights she'd seen tears and frustration... grief at the loss of her father the King. Apprehension at the thought of rule... the throne... the weight of the Crown. So many concerns too soon for a girl of that age. And yet, Tiye had always known that she was far from ordinary. She was no regular girl. Smiling, Anat let a hand drift down to the stomach which had only started to protrude more and more since their coming here. It hadn't been long and already the shape of her belly was more defined, more pronounced.

To bear witness to her cherished friend and sister as she grew with child was simply indescribable. If only her husband could see her.

Much like it was when they were children, Tiye spent much of her days and nights learning. Reading. The virtues of a ruler. Mandates of the Kandake. How to be fair. Just. The matrilineal histories and patrilineal histories. The importance of country and of faith. Though, now it magnified into something bigger... something even greater. What qualities were acceptable to be Queen of this nation. How she must walk. How she must dress. How she must speak. Refinement and quality was of grave importance. The mind of the would-be-queen filled with the belief of this land and people. Etiquettes of Court.