Chapter 10: Coq au Vin

♤Season 8, Episode 6♤

Angela smiles as Mark sets a plate in front of her, "Morning. Robbins and I made you and Callie eggs Benedict."

Sipping the coffee Mark hands her, she smiles, "You and Arizona seem to be getting to be friends. Coparenting finally making you two accept each other?"

"Please, Robbins and I have always gotten along.  We just...are showing it more?"

"Mmhmm. Let's go, I have a surgery with Alex today and I have never operated with my brother before," Angela finishes her breakfast and gives Mark a kiss before heading over to the hospital.

♤♤♤♤

After changing into her scrubs, Angela sets off to find her brother and overhears him talking with Yang, "-Back on the easy train."

"What easy train?" She asks, scaring them slightly.

"Uh, that's what Dr. Karev calls your service."

Alex quickly defends himself, hoping that his sister will believe him, "Cause your patients never die. It's a compliment."

Angela chuckles, patting her brothers shoulder, "Yang, you are with Torres today. Go. Alex, I'm sure wanting to be with me has nothing to do with your pile of bad outcomes, right?"

He hits her shoulder with his, "They were dud patients."

"No such thing as dud patients, just surgeons who weren't fully prepared. Shall we?" Angela leads them into her patients room.

"Who do I have to pay to get the tennis match on in here?" The patient asks.

Alex smiles, working on his patient care especially in front of his sister who called him out on it before, "Uh, we'll have a nurse look into it."

He winks at Alex, "Yeah, well, make sure she's cute."

"Chuck Cain, 71. Came into the ER last night after a syncopal episode. The scan showed a narrow aortic valve that we will replace during open-heart procedure."

"Open heart?" Chuck asks, throwing the remote down.

"Its a safe surgery. Don't worry," Alex tries to reassure.

Chuck scoffs, "I don't care about safe. I care about the scar. How big?"

Alex and Angela share a look, "Ten inches at most."

He shakes his head, "Ten? Nope. Not doing it."

Angela decides to test her brother and nods at him to continue, convince this stubborn patient, "Trust me. A-a scar is a small price to pay for how much better you're going to feel."

"How old do you think I am?"

"You're 71."

Chuck pauses for a second as Angela begs herself not to laugh, "Because you read the chart. But if you didn't, you'd say 60, right? Look, I'm in incredible shape, and the ladies agree," this cause Angela to let out a small laugh, "But look, the minute you  open up my chest, I'm done. There's no more meeting women at the pool with a scar like that. I mean, all they'll see is a future of doctors appointments, hospital visits, and-and bad sex. So, no. No open-heart surgery."