Chapter 33: NICU

Season 9, Episode 8

Angela groans, laying her head on the desk in front of her as baby boy kicks her from the inside, "You can stop at any time now!"

"Uh, Dr. Angel-I mean Karev?" Murphy gets her attention as her and Edwards enter the NICU.

"You're late. I don't like tardiness. Tardiness only leads to bad outcomes and horrible care," Angela lifts her head, glaring at the two, "Now, who's presenting?"

They move over to one of the babies as Murphy mumbles, "I guess I am," Before smiling at Angela.

It's not news to Angela that Murphy thinks by getting on her good side, it gives her a better shot with Alex. Little does she know, neither Karev can stand her.

"Samantha Morgan, three months old. Born with idiopathic neonatal cardiomyopathy. She's currently status 1B on the heart transplant list."

The dad comes over with two coffees in his hand, "What did I miss? Is there any update on a heart?"

Angela gives them a calming smile, "I know how hard it is to just sit here and wait. Sadly, sometimes, there isn't much else to do until a heart becomes available."

The mom looks at her, "77 days. That's how long she's been on the list already. But who's counting, right?"

"She'll get a heart. I know she will," He nods, full of hope.

Murphy speaks up, "The good news is, your daughter's stable for now."

The guy unwraps his arm from around the mom as they both shake their head, "Oh, no, she's not-I'm not, um...Laura and I met here. Our kids were born about a week apart. My son Rhys is right over there," He points to another baby. 

Laura adds, "We're both doing all of this alone. It helps to have a second set of ears to hear all the medical jargon."

"My turn next?" He asks as the group migrates over to Rhys.

Edwards presents this time, "Rhys Rutstein, status two on the heart transplant list, born with a single-ventricle defect. Post-op from receiving a central shunt and recovering very well."

Angela nods, looking at Mr. Rutstein, "It's possible you might be able to take Rhys home sometime next week."

He looks at her stunned and teary eyed, "Home? Next week?"

"Yes. There's no reason Rhys has to wait for a heart here."

Laura laughs, smiling at him, "Oh, Noah. That's amazing."

"Oh, I'm not," He laughs nervously, "I-I don't think I'm ready for this. I mean, I am, but...home. Without all the doctors or nurses or you..." Noah looks at Laura.

"You can do this. You and Rhys are gonna be just fine," Laura assures him.

"We'll check in with you later," Angela smiles, the trio of doctors walking out of earshot before Murphy moves in front of Angela and stops her.

"Dr. Karev, did you read the recent West Coast Surgical Journal article on central shunts? They listed some very compelling statistics," Murphy questions, smiling as she tries to butter up to Angela.

She shakes her head, "Nope. More into baby books right now."

Murphy gives a big smile, "I'll get you a copy," Before turning around and basically skipping off.

Angela nods, rolling her eyes, "Dear lord I don't have the filter to deal with that."

♤♤♤♤