Chapter 26: Goodbye Mark Sloan

Season 9, Episode 1

Angela runs a hand over her belly, a small bump having appeared over the past month. She's approximately five months along. Looking at the clock, she avoids how close to five it is.

"Dr. Karev?" A meak voice says from behind her.

"What, Dr. Brooks?" Angela says, annoyed with the day already.

"I-I have those labs you wanted..."

She turns to the intern, taking notice of the scrubs messily put on, "I wanted these labs an hour ago. Maybe instead of screwing my brother in an on-call room, you can focus on being an intern. Trust me, it will serve you better in the long run. Now, run along."

The intern moves away quickly as Angela moves to the ER. Looking over the board, she sees no interesting enough cases for her. Callie's voice floats over to her, "Well, how's the new Head of Cardio doing?"

"Back pain from the newly forming bump. Webber told me early everything's ready for tonight."

Callie nods, sighing, "Are you okay? I mean, I can't imagine-"

"Callie, it sucks. I'm having Mark's baby but he won't ever get to see them. It sucks. But I have to respect his wishes. I can't ignore them because he wouldn't for me," Angela sniffles, "It's been 30 days. He wanted to be let go. Do I wish things were different? Hell, yes. Am I going to keep him plugged in forever? No."

"Are you going to go see him before five?" Callie asks, looking at the clock on the wall.

Angela sighs, "Probably. I-I just wish Teddy were here. She would know what to do to jump start my ass into gear."

♤♤♤♤

Moving upstairs, Angela finds Owen, Webber, Bailey and Meredith in front of the OR board, "Intern appy today, Grey? Ambitious."

The quartet turn to her and give her the sad eyes and a small smile, trying to be cautious with her, "How are you feeling today? You know, with everything..."

"Okay, this stops now. I have survived a war, a psychotic mother, having Alex Karev as my brother. I can survive losing the man that I thought I would spend the rest of my life with who is also the father of my unborn baby. I'm fine."

Meredith snorts, "Taking from me, the Queen of 'I'm fine', you aren't really fine."

Angela rolls her eyes, sighing, "Well, I would be better if I didn't have to replace Teddy and Cristina. Do you know what a hit to the Cardio department that is?"

"Have you spoken to Cristina at all, lately?" Owen asks, failing to seem uninterested.

"Last night. I had a surgery I wanted her to know about and she was filling me in on her latest surgeries. Nothing to interesting, sadly."

"And hows the baby?" Webber asks, pointing to the very small bump.

"Great. Latest scans show healthy baby and healthy mom. Wish we could say healthy dad, but two for three is good," Angela jokes terribly.

Not knowing how to respond, the group split off their separate ways. 

♤♤♤♤

*Flashback- 5 months ago*

Angela groans as Mark records her playing with Sofia, "Mark, stop it! I look disgusting!"

"You look beautiful. And look at that smile on Sofia's face. Over here! Look at daddy, Sofia!" Mark calls out from behind the camera.