Chapter 24: Decisions

Season 8, Episode 23

In the attending's meeting, Angela watches as Owen writes down resident after resident with a question mark next to it, "Where are we with Avery?"

Mark sighs from the spot next to Angela, "Holding offers from USC, Penn, Tulane, and Emory. Tulane and Emory are in love. They want him bad."

"Grey?" Owen turns to Derek.

"Uh, still between Boston and Seattle," Derek tells him.

"If I'm gonna lose one of my talented residents and my top neurosurgeon, I'd love a decision sooner than later," Owen reminds him.

Derek flips closed his binder, "You and me both, Hunt."

"Yang?" He asks.

The attending's look at him confused, "Well, she didn't tell you?"

Angela fills the awkward silence, "Stanford and Columbia are playing hardball, not to mention the dozens of other hospitals vying for a small chance she'll go to them, but I'm very confident we are still in the mix."

He then calls out the next couple names, "Lee, Steinman, and Renaldo?"

The attending's voices start to mix, "Offer from Rice. Leaning toward Wash U. Baylor and San Diego are both after him."

As the attending's share looks and shakes of their heads, Arizona puts out, "Well, Karev is staying."

"Unless he gets another offer. Predicting moves that Alex is gonna make works for nobody," Angela adds.

"If we are out this many surgeons, I'm gonna need to hire now, so let's get answers from our people as soon as possible. Thank you. Oh, and let's not forget that we've agreed to assist Boise Memorial with their conjoined twin surgery, so make sure your teams are ready to leave from the lobby no later that ten tomorrow night," Owen dismisses them.

Mark helps Angela out of her chair, "Are you going to Boise?"

She shakes her head, "Nope. Cristina is. I'm hoping that showing her these opportunities will help guide her to wanting to stay."

He laughs, "What happened to letting her make her own choice and following her heart?"

"That was until she asked me my opinion on close to twenty other hospitals. I want her to know that I still want her here," Angela tells him as her stomach starts to get upset, "Excuse me."

She runs to the bathroom, where she then proceeds to throw-up. When she's done, she rinses her mouth out and groans when she looks in the mirror, "What the hell is wrong with me?"

Leaving the bathroom, she sees Mark waiting for her across the hallway and holding up a stick of gum, "Thank you. I'd kiss but I'll wait until I get back to the lounge and can brush my teeth. Or at least swig some mouthwash."

"Are you okay? You've been getting sick almost everyday the past week," He asks her, concerned as they start walking down the hall.

"I'm fine. I might just be overly stressed and it's a new stress that my body isn't used to. I'll be fine once all the residents have made their decisions and we know where we stand next year."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. Now, I love you, but I have some patients to check on."

♤♤♤♤

Alex comes around the corner, grabbing his sister and shaking her, "Hopkins! Hopkins wants me!"

Angela feels her stomach start to become unsteady but pushes it aside as she hugs Alex, "Congratulations! I knew you could do it. Wait, I thought they already filled all their spots?"