Chapter 32: Happens for a Reason

Season 9, Episode 7

Angela yawns, staring longingly at the cup of coffee in April's hand as Owen drones on and on in their morning attending's meeting, "Check the OR board for any changes. I have one last thing to say, some of you, uh, may run into Arizona Robbins today. It's her first day back," They cheer and clap, "So if you see her, just make her feel welcome."

"Or maybe..." Callie starts, "Maybe just don't make a big deal at all. It might be better."

"Noted, thank you," Owen nods before drawing their attention back when they all start to stand, "Oh, oh, hold on. I just want to address one more thing. Um, most of you are aware that a group of our doctors have filed a lawsuit against our hospital. Some of you may be wondering what this all means and how it's gonna affect our staff. I'd like to be clear. It doesn't...at all. Let's just let the lawyers worry about that. That's their job. Our job is to continue to work together and support each other in giving the great standard of care that we have always given. Let's not let something like this get in the way of that. Thank you."

Jackson whiffs his coffee under Angela's nose, "Is that enough to keep you awake for the next few hours."

"No," She pouts, "But I already had my one allotted coffee for the day. I promised Alex that I wasn't going to drink more than one cup a day."

"Do you want another sip?" Jackson holds his cup out to her, holding back a laugh when she stares at it, "Take a sip. I won't tell anyone."

Angela purses her lips in thought before taking the cup and another sip, "Thank you. Now I've gotta go meet Bailey's liver/heart patient."

♤♤♤♤

Sitting on the bench, Angela soaks up some sun as Edwards and Ross watch her. Bailey comes up to the group, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I've just been inside a lot lately and needed some sun. Plus, baby boy is loving the warmth and is kicking up a storm," She sighs, pressing on her belly where he just kicked.

"I'm glad your little boy is happy and healthy in there, but did you check the history of the heart valve like I asked?" Bailey questions the more senior attending.

"Edwards?"

She steps forward, "Yes, and based on the history, we've chosen a pericardial bioprosthesis. I made sure the OR has it ready."

Bailey nods, looking back at Angela as she continues to smile and soak up the sun, "Okay, and, Dr. Ross, you took care of our room situation?"

"East-facing window like he likes. It's also private."

An ambulance pulls up, drawing all their attention, "Good. Okay."

Standing up, Angela stands beside Bailey as the patient is unloaded, "Hey. We've arrived! Dr. Bailey. How does the liver look? Is it a good one?"

"The best. Dr. Ross spent the last 24 hours on the phone with UNOS to make sure it didn't go anywhere else," Dr. Bailey smiles, greeting him.

"They were threatening to send it to Portland, but I went all 'Dr. Bailey' on them," Ross jokes.

"That's my man," The patient laughs. 

His husband, Hank, starts handing gift bags to the doctors, "A little thank you for all your hard work."

Angela accepts, "Thank you. Aw!"

He smiles, "For you I slipped in a couple of binkies and toys for your baby. Congratulations."

♤♤♤♤

Angela stands next to Edwards as Ross presents, "Graham Cunningham, 65, presented with cirrhosis approximately seven years ago. He's now in end-stage liver disease and has subsequently also developed valvular heart disease."