Chapter 53: Back for Good

Season 12, Episode 3

Angela opens the door to her and Marks apartment. Thankfully, Arizona and Callie had been keeping the apartment for her the past few years. She looks down at Everett.

"Do you remember this place at all?"

He shakes his head, before pointing at a picture, "That's daddy."

Looking over, Angela sees a picture of her and Mark from just a few days before the crash. Mark was sitting on one of the couches in the attendings lounge with Angela in his lap. She was kissing his cheek as he smiled at the camera. Owen and Alex had sat with Angela as she showed Everett a bunch of pictures of Mark after they came home. Ever since, Everett's been more open about asking about him, and over time, Angela's found it easier to talk about him.

"Yeah, baby, that's daddy."

♤♤♤♤

Standing with most of the surgical staff, Angela sits next to April as Bailey addresses the staff, "All right, we are almost done here. One last thing, many of you should remember Dr. Angela Karev," She gestures over to the attending, "While she has been away the past few years writing half a dozen papers in MEDCOM and serving with Dr. Hunt and Dr. Kepner in Afghanistan, Dr. Karev has returned to be our Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery again."

The surgical staff applaud for Angela as she smiles and nods, before Bailey continues, "That's it."

Owen smiles as he approaches Angela, "I didn't think you'd actually come back. I'm surprised Altman let you go," He hugs her.

"T was ready to fight you to keep me, but Everett wanted to be here," Angela pulls away from the hug to see a surgical attending standing in front of her, "Hi? Can I help you?"

"Oh, r-right, um. Hi. I'm Maggie-Dr. Maggie. No. I mean, Dr. Pierce. Dr. Maggie Pierce," She shakes Angela's hand.

"Oh, right. You were holding the Chief of Cardio position for me. Thank you," Angela smiles, "I've looked over all the paperwork from the last couple years and everything looks great. I am so glad to have you on my team."

Maggie gives a tight smile, "Right. Thank-thank you. Um, I-I'm going to check on my patients."

Angela looks to Owen, "What was that about?"

"I mean, you did just take her job," Owen shrugs, "She's not gonna be jumping for joy at that."

Glaring at the redhead, Angela pinches him, "Shut up and go save lives."

♤♤♤♤

"Hey," Jackson gets Angela's attention, "Welcome back."

She smiles at him, "Hi. Thanks. So, April's caught me up to what's happening. Don't run scared."

"Excuse me?" He questions her.

"You are running scared from a conversation. Sit down, get the anger out in a nice conversation and if you still want to get a divorce, then do so. But you can not go forward with a divorce without talking to her. Cause otherwise, you will live the rest of your life wondering what could have been. Trust me," Angela tells him, "Once you do that, Everett is going to want to stay with Uncle Jackson, and maybe Aunt April."

Jackson glares at her slightly, "Do you really think it's a good idea that I talk to her while in this kind of mood? I'm going to say some harsh things if I do."

Angela shrugs, "Then at least you said them. Cause this awkward phase is only hurting you both. Now, I'm the only one that either gives a crap or is willing to say something or maybe I just have different view. Any way you look at it, you both are suffering. Talk to your wife."

♤♤♤♤

Sitting on her couch, Angela looks over to the door when Alex bursts in, "You are supposed to be sleeping."

"You should lock your door. Anyone could walk in with you and Ev here," Alex paces in front of her as she flips through a research paper.

"Jo texted me that you stormed out after a conversation about Izzie and freezing eggs and a maybe future with her."

Alex groans, slumping down next to his sister on the couch, "What do I do about these twins?"

She shrugs, "Alex, you are making this decision. You know this case better than anyone. Maybe there is a way to save them both that requires out of the box thinking or maybe only one of them can make it. Either way, this decision will sit with you the rest of your life because you are that kind of guy."

"If I had looked into my future when we were kids, I would have thought I'd be a druggie or psycho or something worse. I never thought I'd be this-this person making life and death situations for kids, babies, infants. You? I always bet you were going to be the best of us. How am I the one to make this decision?" Alex's head falls to Angela's shoulder.

Angela smiles, "I did. I knew that you were going to change lives. Alex, not many people or kids could make it out of our childhood. Life is crazy and intense and there was no better way to prepare for that than in the Karev household. Alex, maybe you could save them both. You won't know until make a decision."

♤♤♤♤

Angela steps into the observation room of Daniels surgery where Bailey, Webber, Arizona and Warren were watching.

"Was it a bad call, trying to resect?" Warren asks the more experienced surgeons.

"No," They all agreed.

Bailey tells her husband, "It was the right call, just a bold one."

Webber nods in agreement as more staff fill in the seats behind them, "Yeah, this would have happened during his transplant surgery."

Angela stands near the glass, "Alex chose the right twin. That's not gonna make anything that happens any easier to handle."

"He won't get him back," Warren says.

"No, he won't," Webber agrees.

She watches her brother talk with the intern, "Nothing to do but wait," Angela then whispers to herself, "Oh, Alex."

♤♤♤♤

Everett holds his moms hand as the two walk over to where Alex is standing with the rest of the staff on Daniel's case, "Alex."

"Hey, buddy," Alex gives a half smile to Everett, holding his arms out for a hug.

"Hi Uncle Alex," Everett hugs his uncle back, "Are you okay?"

Alex squeezes Everett tighter, "I will be. Your hugs make me feel better. Do you want to stay with me tonight?"

Everett looks to his mom, "Can I, mommy? Please?"

Angela smiles, kissing Alex's cheek, "As long as Uncle Alex wants to have you over, that's okay. But, you need to be respectful of him and Auntie Jo, right?"

"Auntie Jo loves me, mommy," Everett says, the Sloan attitude shining through, "It's Uncle Alex she's not sure about sometimes."

DeLuca and Warren have to turn and face the other way to hide their laughs but Arizona laughs right in his face, "Oh, I love this kid! Can I keep him for a night?"

"I love you, too, Auntie Zona!"

♤♤♤♤

AN: Nice way to ease Angela back into Grey Sloan.

I'm still trying to figure out how she'll interact with some of the characters like Maggie and DeLuca.

QoC: Who do you want to be Angela's person for the next few seasons until Teddy is back?

Thank you for all of the votes and comments and reads!!!