Chapter 37: Waves

Season 9, Episode 12

Angela leans over the nurses desk in the front as every one gathers for a meeting when she hears a laugh from behind her, "You okay? You look like you are about to give birth."

"Don't tease me. This baby takes after his father and everything needs to happen at his pace," She complains to Callie and Derek as they stand next to her, "I swear if I could reach in and break my own water, I would."

"Why don't you just get induced?" Callie questions.

"Because I'm only a couple days past due. If this goes on any longer, then I will be. Until then, I am content to be in never ending discomfort and annoyance."

Derek snorts, "Seems like it."

Angela glares at the neurosurgeon, "Careful or I will stab you with that pen."

Meredith chuckles from her chair behind the desk, "You have my permission if that makes it easier."

The three women share a laugh as Derek just shakes his head and looks up as Owen starts the meeting on the stairs, "Okay, folks, let's just start. As many of you know, Seattle Grace Mercy West has suffered a financial setback. The administration is working hard to keep the impact of that setback as small as possible. To that end, we're gonna have to initiate some cost-cutting measures. The Board has hired a Physician Advisor to help."

"What's a Physician Advisor?" Meredith asks.

"Well, she consults on maximizing efficiency, streamlining processes, assessing where we can trim our budgets."

Bailey pipes in, "Who to fire and when to fire them?"

Owen clears his throat, moving past her comment, "She's here to advise and to help. I was hoping to introduce her in person, but she seems to be late."

Angela looks up from her position, "On her first day?"

Cristina finishes her thought, "Not very efficient."

The others laugh as Owen continues, "You can expect to see her in the halls, in your labs, in the OR."

"So we're gonna have an accountant following us around in the OR?" Derek asks. 

"She's not an accountant. She is a trained surgeon."

"Who went over to the dark side as an accountant?" Angela guesses, feeling a kick from baby boy.

Owen just sighs, shaking his head, "Thank you for your cooperation."

Angela goes back to leaning over the desk and cradling her bump, groaning before feeling a hand messaging her back, "You really should think about going on maternity leave."

"Alex, if I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times, as long as I'm walking I will be working. Now, we have a patient, let's go."

"Yang can take it. You should rest and relax so that he'll-"

"If you try and tell me what is good for my baby, my body and me again, you'll have to have a stapler removed," Angela threatens before standing up and starting to waddle to the peds floor.

Alex looks to Cristina and Callie who are still standing around, "Anybody want to trade."

They both shake their heads, "Your sister, your problem."

♤♤♤♤

Angela looks over scans as Arizona and Alex talk with the patient's mother, "Everyone at Namboze was so worried when we heard the program might move to UCLA, myself included. You make the kids feel so at home here."