Chapter 43: Fight

Season 9, Episode 19

Angela hands Everett to Alex as she steps into the hospital, "Why am I holding your son?"

Everett starts kicking his legs really fast and holding his hands out to his uncles face, "Because he missed you. Do yo mind dropping him off at the daycare, there's been a huge crash-"

Alex waves her off, "Go, but if I ever have kids, you owe me."

"Yeah, yeah," Angela is already walking away.

She finds Owen surrounded by a couple other attendings, "There was a crash? With tanker?"

Owen nods, patting her shoulder as he passes her and she joins the team following him, "Thank you for not assuming the tanker blew."

"Well, not yet. It's only a matter of time."

They head out to the ambulance bay where Angela stands next to Cristina, while a paramedic starts, "Cam Miller, restrained passenger in a vehicle t-boned on its side."

Angela stops paying attention until Owen calls out for everyone to hear, "Okay, no open flames, no smokers, no use of cauteries. Be safe, people."

Her and Cristina move to one of the ambulances as the patient calls out, "Rachel! Rachel, I'm here!"

"Paul Dawson, 45. Restrained driver with major intrusion into his area of the vehicle. Bruises to the chest. BP 90 over 60. Pulse, 120."

"Where's-where's my son? Where's Ethan?" Paul asks.

"He's on his way, don't worry," Owen assures him.

They move into the hospital.

♤♤♤♤

Angela and Cristina stand in front of Mr. Dawson after examining him, "So, Mr. Dawson, there's a little fluid around your lungs. I'm a little concerned, so we're gonna take you up to CT," Angela tells him.

Cristina walks over to Owen, who's standing with a little boy and tells Owen, "Widened mediastinum. I'm betting his aorta is shredded beef."

"This is the patient's son," Owen gestures to the boy.

"She's sorry," Angela tells the boy before looking to Owen, "We're taking him up to CT now. Make the conversation quick."

As they start up the elevator, an explosion rattles the building, throwing Angela a little off, "Whoa! What the hell!"

"Tanker must have blown," Cristina sighs.

"Meaning more incoming. I'm gonna go back, you've got him?"

Cristina nods, "Yeah, no problem."

♤♤♤♤

Angela walks between patients, helping stitch, scan and look over everyone, "I desperately need some coffee," She says as she stands next to Owen and Murphy at the nurses station.

Owen snorts, "Yeah, I bet. How are we doing?"

She yawns, laying her head down, "I'm so ready to sleep. Everett's at the point where he's waking up every couple of hours just to be rocked. Plus, all the board meetings have been eating up a bunch of time. Do you think I can go rest for like half an hour?"

"Go ahead. Russell or I will handle whatever patient's come in," Owen nods, pushing her towards the hall to go to an on-call room.

♤♤♤♤ 

Waking up 30 minutes later, Angela felt more refreshed in a while, to her pager beeping from Meredith.

"Hey,  Grey, what's up?" Angela approaches Meredith on the peds floor.