Chapter 30: Zola

Season 9, Episode 5

Angela talks with Cristina over the phone as she walks around the hospital, "I need you to come back. Please, there is no one who knows what the hell they are doing in terms of cardio surgery."

Cristina laughs, "Well, I'm doing great here. You know, I'm being neighborly, my cars buried under snow, and Thomas is my best friend and my mentor. He's my Meredith and you all rolled up into one."

"You replaced me that fast? I feel like I should be insulted," Angela jokes, leaning against the nurse's station and winces, "Ow. Jeez this baby is kicking the hell out of me."

"Tell 'em to stop kicking you. God, I have this huge aneurysm, I'm gonna send you scans because you need to marvel at my big, gigantic aneurysm."

Angela groans, running a hand over the bump, "I could find you a huge aneurysm. Would that make you come back? Because without you and Altman, I am drowning in cases. Between yesterday and today, I've had three heart valve replacements, two heart transplants and a very stubborn coronary blockage."

"Just find your me in that class of interns. There's gotta be at least one that you think could even come close to holding a candle to me."

"Well, Wilson, Brooks and Edwards have potential. But none of them scream cardio to me. There's a couple neuros, maybe even a general, but no cardio's. Or at least, any decent cardios that won't make me want to stick a scalpel in them."

"I see now why we get along so well."

♤♤♤♤

Stepping into the attending's locker room, Angela sees Callie rooting around her bag, "Damn it, damn it, damn it! I forgot!"

"Forgot what?" Angela asks, grabbing a protein bar from her locker.

"The plantains. It's culture day at daycare for Sofia, I signed up for plantains and forgot about them completely," Callie groans, throwing her purse on one of the couches before flopping down, "You know, Mark used to be the one to keep track of all that stuff. He loved it."

Reaching into her locker, Angela produces a grocery bag full of plantains, "He did, he even made a little calendar to hang on the fridge, said that he may be a lot of things but a forgetful father is not gonna be one of them."

Callie grabs the bag and hugs Angela, "Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are seriously the best thing Mark has ever brought into my life. Okay, maybe the second best, but still up there."

Angela laughs, "No problem. I was out shopping anyways and thought I'd be prepared just in case. Worst came to worst and they're on Alex's food list so I'd eat them eventually."

"Really? Plantains are on that list?"

"Anything that isn't processed is pretty much on that list. However, I've been having cravings lately so spice and salt have been the main flavors."

"Fun. I'll make sure to drop some stuff off after shift at your apartment as a thank you for this," Callie says before grabbing the bag and making her way down to daycare.

♤♤♤♤

After shift, Angela snacks on popcorn as Jackson pops a movie in for them to watch when he gets a call, "Damn it, damn it! Stupid barely-out-of-med-school child!" 

Angela snorts, covering it with a cough, "What happened? The interns kills someone yet?"

Jackson runs around, grabbing his jacket and keys, "They closed an infected wound that I was leaving open to heal! Seriously? How stupid are they?"