Chapter 48: Storm Part 2

Season 9, Episode 24

Angela bounces Everett in her arms as she paces around the on-call room while Jackson lays on the bed, going over paperwork, "Ev, buddy, everything's okay. Time to get some sleep for me, okay? I love you, time for bed."

"Do you want me to take him? He goes right to sleep for me," Jackson says, not looking up from the papers.

"No, because we're gonna be in Germany, half-way across the world in a few days and I can get my son to sleep without you or Alex. See, he's sleeping," Angela gives a smirk to Jackson, showing a sleeping Everett.

"Good job. Only took about an hour."

"Are you making fun of a single mother, Dr. Avery?" Angela asks.

Jackson shakes his head, lifting it up with a smirk, "No, and you know I'm not."

There pages beep, causing Angela to freeze, checking if Everett woke up and sighing in relief when he barely moves.

Angela looks to Jackson, "I'm gonna drop him off at day-care and then I'll meet you in the ER."

♤♤♤♤

Angela heads down to see the ER overly busy, "Wow. Where can I help?"

"Alex, the NICU needs help getting all the babies out of here," Jackson tells her brother as the pass by the nurses station where Callie was sitting.

"I thought Arizona was overseeing this," Callie comments, "Has anyone seen her?"

She shakes her head, "No, uh, I need to check on the cardio wing. Owen, have you seen Cristina?"

"Uh, oh, Grey went into labor. She's with her," Owen tells her.

Angela chuckles, "I do not envy Grey. Okay, I'm gonna head up to cardio. Page me if you need me."

As she's checking on patients and her cardio staff, Angela is stopped by Ross, "Dr. Karev, Dr. Webber needs you in OR two."

"Fill me in," Angela nods, immediately tying her hair up.

♤♤♤♤

As she's in the OR, looking at a monitor, someone enters with blood, Warren alerting them, "Bloods here."

"Thank you, nurse," Webber calls out, but it's Bailey that steps into the light holding blood, "Oh, uh, I'm-I'm sorry, Bailey. I thought you were-"

"I'm just trying to do what I can to help out," Bailey says, "Four units of AB Neg," Before leaving.

Webber tells Warren and Angela, "I yelled at her. I thought it would work, that tough love is what she needed to get her back inside the OR."

Warren admits, "I joined in as an anesthesiologist on this surgery because I thought that would get her back in this OR. My way didn't work either."

Angela sighs, clicking through the scans, "I tried appealing to her drive to save lives. It didn't work but after this I'm gonna try again. Bailey's almost there, she stepped in here. I think what she needs is a real call to action. An incident that gives her no choice but to save a life. Give her some time. Now, back to Jimmy. There's blood in there, exiting the heart. I can't find out where unless I open him up. I can do it, I just need a little more light and I can do it."

"Okay, let's get some head lights and more flashlights while Dr. Karev scrubs in."

♤♤♤♤

"More light. Up to your left," Angela searches around a little, "I can't find the source. Everything I look at turns out to be a shadow. Okay. I'm gonna try something that I did out in Baghdad once. It worked pretty well. Just...don't panic when you see my eyes closed."

Angela closes her eyes, causing the others in the OR to shoot each other confused looks before Warren asks, "Uh, Dr. Karev? What are you doing?"

"I'm feeling and listening for the bleed. So, no one speak, no one move and no one shine their light in my eyes," She leans over slightly, poking around the heart, "I got it. My fingers on the leak, it's ventricular. Lights!"

The lights come on as they hand Angela suture.

"Miranda told me about the move to Germany next week. What brought that on?" Warren asks.

"I...I needed a change. Everywhere I look here, I see Mark. I...it's too much some days, and I need to be 100% for my son. So, I'm going to Germany for a few years to teach and learn and operate before coming back here for Everett's village. I just need the change and the chance to grieve," Angela admits to them.

"That's okay. I'm sure Hunt will keep your position right here for you, waiting for when you came back," Warren assures. 

Angela chuckles, nodding, "I know he will. I'm the best cardio surgeon and teacher this hospital has seen a while."

♤♤♤♤

After surgery, Angela heads into the ER where she sees Jackson getting bandaged up by Callie, "Jackson? What the hell happened?"

"He ran into an exploding bus that was on fire," Callie tells her, ignoring Jackson's look not to tell her, "What? You were the idiot that almost exploded, now you get to deal with the anger coming from Angela."

"Thanks for your help, Torres," Jackson sasses as Angela takes over wrapping his arm and Callie goes to check on her wife.

They sit in silence for a few minutes before Jackson breaks it, "Are you gonna say something?"

Angela shakes her head, "No. Why would I? It's just that Everett lost his real father before he was even born, meaning I lost probably the only man I could ever love like that. Then, tonight, you almost died meaning that Everett almost lost his true father figure. I-I can't deal with that loss again, Jackson. I know, I'm leaving for Germany and I'm the one separating Everett and I from you, but you almost just made that separation  permanent."

"Angela-"

"And I know I have no right to ask this of you, but please, don't put yourself at risk like that again. I cannot tell Everett that he lost you because you were playing hero."

"Angela-" Jackson tries again, sitting up and resting a hand on her cheek, "I promise. Okay, everything will be okay."

The two lock eyes, silent for a moment before they both lean forward. 

♤♤♤♤

AN: CLIFF HANGER!!! HEHE!

Sorry for the late update, this story will usually be updated on Saturdays. 

QoC: What do you think will come of this ending?

Thank you for all of the votes and reads and comments!!!