Chapter 41: Domino-Transplant

Season 9, Episode 17

Angela sighs, reading over the books for the new board as Arizona asks, "Jackson Avery really has a bigger say than any of us in running this hospital?"

"It makes since. It's what he's been basically trained for since he was a kid. He is an Avery," Angela shrugs.

"Well, he's a voting member of the management team and he also represents the Harper Avery Foundation," Derek explains.

Callie adds, "And their 175 million bucks."

Arizona sighs, sitting down, "As opposed to our $15 million apiece."

"According to Stan, not only does he have the deciding vote, he can veto ours."

"That is ridiculous. He's a fellow."

"So are you and Grey," Angela comments.

Cristina sneers, "But he's a plastic's fellow. And I'm me."

Angela rolls her eyes, "There's nothing wrong with plastics. You make digs at the specialty again, you'll see just how miserable I can make your fellowship and how much being you will suck."

Meredith tries calming everyone down, "Well, let's not overreact. I mean, it's Jackson. He's not some corporate stranger. He's one of us."

Derek agrees with his wife, "No, you're right. He's a smart kid. He's gonna follow our lead."

"Why would he? We couldn't get the backing of anyone else because we didn't know how to run a hospital. Jackson's an Avery. He's literally been groomed for this his entire life. We should follow his lead."

Callie shakes her head, "No, no, we made this plan. We pulled it together. Look, I'm grateful to Harper Avery for an infusion of cash, but I'm-I'm not gonna let some-some plastics fellow tell me how to run my service because his mommy said he could."

"Are any of you listening to me? We don't know how to run a hospital. He does. That plastics fellow knows more than all of us combined. Not another word until he comes in."

They listen to her and stay quiet until Jackson walks in with a box of donuts, "I'm sorry, guys. I was running on time, and then my last rounds' patient turned into a crier."

He opens the box of donuts on the table, Angela grabbing one, "Thank you. Everett threw up all over himself right as we were going out the door so I didn't have time to grab breakfast today."

"Uh, we wanted to start with discussing the reopening of the ER and the trauma department," Meredith tells Jackson.

"Oh, yes. Um, I'm not ready for that just yet," Jackson paws through the files in front of him.

Derek offers, "If you need more time with the materials, we can go ahead-"

Jackson stops him, "No, no, I've-I've read it. Uh, it's just that the Foundation feels like the ER is not a forgone conclusion. They need a site visit, a chance to look over the numbers. It could be a month before the decision."

Arizona lets out a little chuckle, "Okay. The Foundation knows we plan on getting our Level-1 Trauma designation back, right?"

"They know that's the idea, yeah."

"It's the fact," Callie corrects.

"I think we should table this until we can bring in Owen," Cristina comments, "Uh, he'll have a lot of thoughts on this, too."

Angela nods, "I agree."

Jackson speaks up amongst the words of agreement, "That's-that's the other thing."