Chapter 7: Laura's Story

Landon moved to his bed. He sat down and rested his elbows on his thighs. He knew that there was a window in front of his own, but there was no point in looking up. He wasn't going to see anything. Only darkness would stare back at him. But for some reason, he felt the urge to look up. "Is anyone there?" he whispered. 

"What are you doing, Landon?!" he mentally kicked himself. "Who is it that you're talking to? Who is it that you expect to answer?" 

Nobody, he thought. Because I have nobody to talk to. Nobody will approach me. Nobody ever will. 

With that thought in his mind, Landon went to sleep. It was hard for him still, but he had to get over it. "Good night world." And he fell asleep. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Next day, Laura came in to wake him up. "Come on sweetie. Wake up." 

Landon grumbled and said, " Five more minutes, Mom. That's all I need.  

Laura smiled at Landon and giving up, shook her head. The funny thing about Landon was that when he said five minutes, it literally meant five minutes. That boy would never stop surprising her. Ever since he lost his sight, Landon had learned to adapt quickly. It was a miracle that he had. Thinking back to the days after the accident, when she had noticed that Landon was bumping into objects around the house more than he used to, she should have known that those were the first signs. Over time, it grew worse and that's when she decided to take him to the hospital. At the hospital, the doctor told her that there was nothing else he could do to save his sight. "Landon's sight will eventually all fade," the doctor had told her with sadness in his voice. "The accident damaged the part of the brain that deals with his sight and although at first, we thought he was okay, we now know he's not. I'm really sorry, Mrs. Valentine. I should have known. I didn't know." 

"it's fine, doctor." She had tried to comfort him. But what she really needed was someone to comfort her. Now that her husband was gone, Laura had it more difficult. She was now working multiple jobs to make ends meet. She had to take care of her two sons. They couldn't see her like this. When she thought this, her mind focused on Landon. He would never see her again. He would never see her face again, he'd never see the color of the green grass or the woman he would marry nor his kids, if he ever met anyone. She knew that her son was an amazing human being, but everyone else didn't see him like that just because he was blind. She felt the urge to slap some sense into all of those boys and girls who made fun of Landon, but she was a grown woman and she couldn't do that. Landon was the most thoughtful and sweetest person in the world. He would do anything for his friends. But now he didn't have any. What hurt her the most was how the girls acted towards him. They acted like he was a monster. Never once did they give him a chance and that made her furious. She couldn't figure it out but she had faith that Landon would meet a good girl, someone that would understand him and wouldn't walk away from him as soon as they found out he was blind. 

At four years of age, Landon was a lively young boy. He was like any normal four year old: he'd run around, play in the dirt and fight with his older brother. Then one day, Laura noticed that her son would bump into things that he had never bumped into before. And it got worse. At times, when Laura would give him the normal everyday objects, whether it was a sweater or a spoon to eat with, he would drop it, and then when he did, he couldn't find it; he would have to touch around to find the object he had dropped She couldn't find an explanation. Landon appeared to be scared. He was just a baby, he couldn't have known. Then she thought back to the accident. "Oh no," she thought. Oh no. Could it be? My son is going to lose his sight?" When she took Landon to the doctor, he said that there was nothing they could do. This loss of sight was inevitable. He would lose his sight a fraction at a time and there was nothing they could do to help him. Laura's heart broke even more, if it was possible. First, she had lost her husband, the only man she had ever loved and the only one who made her feel safe; now her son was going to lose his sight and there was nothing the doctors could do. There was nothing she could do to help her son.