Chapter 31: Here

Lauren and everyone else was watching a movie downstairs. Everything was going well according to Landon. Then he heard Lauren's phone ring and she answered it. When she was listening to the other person on the phone, her mood seemed to just plummet. She sounded worried and then Landon felt her leave after she hung up the phone.

She came back and she went around hugging everyone and saying her thanks. When she came to him, she kissed him on the cheek. And then Lauren thanked him for everything and told him that she would talk to him later.

Landon had to admit to himself that he had grown accustomed to having Lauren around and when she left so suddenly, he felt this hole, like something was missing. She didn't tell him why she had to leave but he trusted that she would tell him eventually.

"Did she say why she had to leave like that?" Landon asked to break the silence.

"No,"Laura answered. "But it must have been pretty important. She seemed very worried."

"I know."

"Look, Landon," Lance added, "it was probably an emergency. I think the person calling her was Kyle. It sounded like a man's voice."

"Yeah, I know. I heard it too." Landon said.

Laura saw how worried her son was and she went over to his side. "Hey, come one sweetie. She's fine. You know Lauren's a strong girl and she'll eventually tell you when she's ready."

"Yeah, I know , Mom. But I'm still worried."

"It's normal to be worried, sweetie. But you have to give her space. She'll tell you when she's ready." She paused then she looked at both her sons. "I think it's time to go to bed."

"Mom, I'm nineteen." Lance added.

"That doesn't matter," Laura turned to him. "You're still my baby. And besides you have to work tomorrow, so you should definitely go to sleep."

Lance looked at his mother and he nodded. There was no use in arguing with her. There was no way that she would be convinced otherwise. If one person went to sleep, it made no sense to her that the other would stay awake.

Lance went to brush his teeth and he changed into his pajamas. He went downstairs to say good night to his mother and to Landon. He went upstairs and went to bed. Just thinking of work made him tired. He fell asleep before he knew it.

Laura was still downstairs with Landon. "Come on sweetie," she said as she helped him up. "We're taking you upstairs so you can brush your teeth and get ready for bed."

Landon let Laura lead him upstairs. After all his mother was right. Lauren would tell him eventually of what was going on when she was ready for it. And if she didn't want to tell him, he'd accept that too.

"I'll go brush my teeth. Do you want me to come back to help you?" Laura asked Landon.

"I'll be fine, Mom. Thanks. Don't worry about me. Go rest." Landon kissed his mom good night and then went to brush his own teeth. After his teeth were brushed he went to his room, but he didn't want to sleep yet.

He was still worried. Instead of going to sleep, Landon sat down on his bed. He wondered what had happened. Lauren had been in such a hurry that it just made him worry.

"Maybe you're worrying too much about the whole situation." Landon said to himself. "Be patient. As much as you want to know what's going on, you'll have to wait."

Landon couldn't deny that he missed Lauren. It felt like something was missing now that Lauren wasn't there. He realized that Lauren was becoming someone important to him, and that scared him. There weren't many people that he could say were important to him, other than his family. No girl had ever for this close.