Chapter 52: The Moment of Truth

Landon was nervous. He was definitely more and more nervous as the end of the school day approached. It was then that he was going to tell Lauren everything, because there was no more that he could do. If she liked him, too, then that would make him the happiest person alive, but if she didn't, he would understand completely. And he would most certainly respect that. But he didn't want to think about that scenario just yet. Everything had to pass first.

Lauren on the other hand could sense that something was wrong with Landon. It wasn't about the kiss; it wasn't even awkward anymore. It took them like a minute to get rid of the awkwardness between them and go back to how it was before what happened. Not that she thought it was a mistake or anything. But she was a little nervous because she had taken the decision of telling him how she truly felt about him. There would be nothing that would prepare her for when he practically laughed in her face. But being more realistic, Lauren knew that Landon would never do that. He was too good of a guy to ever hurt anyone in that way.

Ray joined them while they were making their way to their first class.

"Hey, guys," he said.

Both Lauren and Landon turned to look his way.

"Hey," Lauren and Landon both said at the same time.

"How's everything going?"

"Everything is going fine so far." Landon said.

"That's good. My mom insisted that I invite you guys over for a meal at my house. Because, well you know how she is."

"Yeah, I do know. She's probably one of the sweetest women that I have ever known."

"Yeah. And well, she kind of wouldn't stop bothering me about it. So here I am, in front of you, inviting both of you to my house for lunch or dinner or whenever that you are available."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's nice to see you again, sweetie." Ray's mother hugged Landon and gave him a forehead kiss.

 "It's nice to see you as well, ma'am." Landon answered politely. Then turning to Lauren, he said, "And this beautiful young lady standing next to me is Lauren."

Heather turned to Lauren and gave her the same warm smile that she had given Landon just a few minutes before and she turned to hug Lauren. Lauren was taken by surprise at first, but once the shock was over, she wrapped her arms around the lovely warm lady that was Ray's mom.

She invited both of them to sit and she talked a while before, leaving and going into the kitchen and setting the table. Ray turned to both Landon and Lauren. "Thanks for coming, guys. She usually spends her time alone since Father's away on his trips."

The fact that he used Father to address his dad made Lauren cringe. Nobody she had met had called their dad father. It meant that there was something definitely going on between them for him to call him father all the time.

But she knew that it wasn't her place to ask them anything. After all, she was only a guest in the household. Or maybe she did know but she had forgotten and asking would just make it all a little worse.

"No problem, Ray." Landon answered. "Your mom is a wonderful lady. She was like my second mom, really. She was always so happy when it came to seeing us. Where is your dad, anyway?"

"I don't know. I just know that he's not here and that he is working."

Lauren couldn't help but feel his pain. If there was something she was absolutely sure about, it was that she loved her parents and that she had a rather good relationship with them, besides the obvious estrangement from her mother. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a parent, but not have them at the same time.