Chapter 33: A Walk to disaster

Landon told his mother that he was going to go out. Laura, of course, told him to be careful. Landon promised he would be super careful and not to worry.

He walked out of the house and he went straight over to Lauren's house. He knew he was risking another encounter with Cindy, but he wanted to know what was bothering Lauren and why she had had that nightmare involving her mother.

He rung the doorbell and he waited. The door opened and a man greeted him. He could tell by the smell of the cologne that reached his nostrils.

"Sir?" he asked.

Kyle chuckled. "Yes, it's me. How are you Landon?"

"I'm fine, sir. How are you?"

"I'm doing good. You know, you don't have to be so formal with me. You can call me Kyle."

"Of course. Maybe in time, I'll be able to call you by your first name, sir. I will be able to with practice."

Kyle chuckled again. Landon was a polite young man, everything he wanted for his daughter. "What can I help you with, Landon?"

"Well, I came for--well, I was just coming to see if--" he was suddenly nervous.

"You came for Lauren?" Kyle finished the thought.

"Yes. Ummm...is she home?"

"Yes, yes she is. I'll go call her. In the meanwhile, come in and sit down. Make yourself comfortable."

Landon went inside and found the couch. "Thank you, sir."

Kyle smiled as he went upstairs to look for Lauren. When he reached her room, Kyle knocked three times on her door.

"Come in, Daddy." Her father was the only one who knocked three times, all the time, every time.

"Hey, baby girl. Someone's here to see you."

Lauren immediately knew who he was talking about. It wasn't that hard to tell who it was. There was only one person who would come to see her. She got up and went downstairs, not before saying a brief thanks to her dad.

When she went downstairs, she spotted him immediately. He was sitting on the couch, doing nothing except waiting, with his little cane in his hands.

He came to his feet and asked, "Lauren?"

"Yes," she answered. "It's me."

"Hi. I was just wondering if you wanted to come with me. I don't know exactly where I'm going but would you want to come and find out with me?"

Lauren smiled. "Of course. I'll be right back, though. I have to tell my dad I'm leaving. Just so he doesn't freak out."

She ran back upstairs and when she found her dad, Lauren told him he was going to go with Landon.

"Okay," he said. "Just be careful. And no making out."

Lauren turned back to face him and glared at him. "Funny. Completely hilarious."

Kyle shrugged and he laughed as Lauren walked away.

"Okay." she said. "I'm here. I'm ready."

"Okay," Landon said.

She opened the door and waited for him to walk past her before closing the door behind her. They walked to the park. There was a soccer game going on. When Landon heard all the noise, he automatically knew that what was going on was a soccer game.

"It's a soccer game isn't it?" he turned to Lauren.

"Yes." she answered simply.

"We have to go. I haven't been to a soccer game in forever."