Chapter 2: Lauren Reyes

Lauren Reyes couldn't believe that she was going to leave her hometown of Santa Barbara. It was all because her dad was offered a job in Sacramento, and he had to take it. He said that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. All she felt right now was anger. Everything she had known, and everyone she had met was going to be left behind. She hoped that Sacramento would be worth it. There was one reason why she was glad that she was moving. It had happened when she was fifteen years old. She had met a guy and she thought that it was love. Boy, was she wrong. He cheated in the worst way possible : with her best friend. But now it was all forgotten. She was stupid to think it was love. It became clear to her that it had been the biggest mistake of her life.

Now she was seventeen and she was going to go to a different school with different people. There were many people here that she loved and she hated that she had to leave, but she couldn't do anything about it. It was summer vacation still and while she waited for the day when they were going to leave to Sacramento, she painted. It was the one thing that she could really do. It was her talent. Painting came really easy to her. Images appeared in her head and while they were still fresh, she grabbed a paintbrush and began to paint. The recent painting was resting on the wall next to her easel. It was the scenery of the beach. It was a picture of the beach during the night time. Now she was working on a new one. The image she was painting was that of a forest. She saw the trees and the leaves. The pattern of the bark of the trees. There was a lake in the middle and beyond that there was a cabin. 

From inside the cabin a luminous but soft light reached through the curtains. It made her feel warm inside, something she hadn't felt in a really long time. That was the feeling that she expected from love. On the curtains of the window, two figures were silhoutted; one was obviously a woman while the other was obviously a man. Through that image, she felt the warmth she didn't have and maybe never would. According to everything she had heard, when two people loved each other, they were supposed to complement each other. Through each other, both the guy and the girl could find strength. 

"That's what I want," she thought, while looking at her painting. "I want to be able to look in his eyes and feel like I belong." She put the paintbrush down and looked outside her window. The moon stared back at her with a loving look. All she had ever wanted was not there. There was a time when she thought she was in love but it turned out to be just a game: nothing real. Looking at the moon, Lauren thought of that time when she had been betrayed. Although she didn't want to admit it, there was still resentment in her against the people who were supposed to be the closest to her. Sure, she had forgiven that guy and her best friend, but she couldn't look at them in the same way; she couldn't even look at them because the pain would fill her soul. What pained her even more was that her ex-best friend and her ex-boyfriend were still together. They were the two people who had all of her trust. And then in one second, all of that was gone. She had lost two people in one hit.

Soon tears began to roll down her cheeks. "I can't look at them without feeling extreme pain and disappointment. Maybe it is the best thing to move to Sacramento. I need to meet new people, to breathe new air." She looked back at her painting and then looked back up to the moon. "I want to find someone who will make me feel like I belong, someone who will make me feel safe in his arms, someone who I know I can always trust and someone who I know won't do to me what Clayton did. I just want to find someone to love, someone that will share with me what is important to him while I can share what is important to me. I just want to feel loved. Is that too much to ask?" 

The moon shone brighter at Lauren's question. It was telling her to wait a little bit longer. That soon her wish would come true.