Chapter 34: The hospital

Once the stretcher went through the two doors, Lauren wasn't allowed to go beyond that point.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but you're restricted from going back there." the nurse said.

She had to wait and she had to get a hold of Laura and Lance. But she didn't know their phone number. Wait, she thought, but we live right next to them. I can call my dad and he can tell them.

She took out her phone and dialed her father's number. She grew more impatient with each ring. "Come on, pick up, Daddy. It's an emergency." she whispered.

When Kyle finally answered Lauren was relieved. "Daddy, I need you to get Laura and Lance if he's home."

"Why? What happened? Where are you?" Kyle asked.

"I'm at the hospital, Daddy. We were attacked by some random guys and Landon was stabbed."

"Is he okay?"

"I don't know, Daddy." She began to cry then. "I have to wait here for him and they haven't said anything to me. I don't know what I'm going to do, Daddy. He was protecting me Daddy. He was protecting me."

"Okay, baby girl, listen to me, okay?"

Lauren nodded even though he couldn't see her.

"I want you to wait there, okay? Call if anything has changed. And tell me where you are."

"I'm at UC Davis Medical Center. Close to it, it says Sacramento Campus."

"Okay, baby girl. Stay calm. Okay? We'll be there later. As soon as we can. Don't worry." Kyle hung up.

She was left there with all the worry in the world.

Anxiety was going through her whole body. He was the one who was protecting her. The reason why he's here was because Landon was protecting her from those two men. The reason why Landon was here in the hospital was because he was fighting them for her. Why in Earth's name would he do something like that?

She thought about it and she couldn't find an exact answer except that he was such a great person. She started to cry again. Anguish clutched her heart between its hands and she didn't want to think that anything would happen to Landon. She wanted him to be okay. She wanted him to be fine and great and amazing.

There were three weeks left for the start of school and every time she thought about starting school without Landon, she wanted to scream and yell, She didn't want to go to school without him. She wanted him to be with her, but most importantly, she wanted to be with him. They made a good team together. Thay had fun and Landon was an amazing guy. She hated that he couldn't see that, but she was determined to show him how great he was.

And for that, Lauren needed Landon to be okay. All she wanted was for Landon to be okay.

She walked from one end of the waiting room to the other. "Why are they taking so long?" she asked herself.

There was nothing she could do and she hated feeling so helpless. She hated that all she could do was wait here for the results, not being able to even see him. She felt like she was doing nothing, which made her feel more guilty.

What am I supposed to do, she thought. What am I supposed to do?

'You wait,' her heart responded. 'And you pray that he comes out okay.'

What will I do if he doesn't turn out okay? He was losing a lot of blood.

'You like him, Lauren. As much as you want to hide the truth, you like him. I like him. And if he doesn't turn out okay, we'll suffer greatly.'