Chapter 53: Back to Normal

In the weeks after the revelation of Lauren's and Landon's feelings for each other, things went back to normal in a way. Graduation was just around the corner. They would graduate on Monday and they were having the dinner on a Sunday. It was a celebration of all sorts of events. Lauren and Cindy's relationship got better and she even returned home with them. She was happy now. Lauren and Landon weren't a couple yet, because they decided to wait until everything was sorted out with Lauren and her family. Today, there was going to be a dinner at the Reyes' house, in which the Valentines were also invited. At that dinner, there were going to be two surprises. Of course, it was going to be Lauren and Landon's news, but then also Bryan and Emiliegh's engagement. They hadn't told anyone that they were even dating. So this was definitely going to be a great surprise for everyone. Landon, Lauren, Emileigh and Bryan would all be very happy. There was not a lot of mystery surrounding what they were planning, but here they were.

Landon, Lance, and Laura walked over to Lauren's house. They rung the doorbell and Lauren opened it. She was so happy to see him. She hugged Laura and Lance and of course Landon too. They didn't get there without anything, though. They each held a dish in their hands. Lauren stopped in front of them and mocked being mad.

"We told you that we had this under control." she said to all of them.

"We had to bring something." they all said in unison.

Lauren laughed. She loved how they all felt the same way. They had all said it in the same tone. She loved them. She already saw them as a part of her family. She couldn't wait to tell them what was really happening. They still weren't boyfriend and girlfriend because they wanted to tell their families first. Landon wanted Cindy's and Kyle's blessing. That was something that she thought had died a long time ago. But Landon surprised her once again.

Cindy, Kyle, and Brett all went to greet the Valentines.

"Dinner will be ready in a few minutes." Cindy said.

"We bought a few things to help you guys out with dinner. We thought it was only right. So there will be no protesting." Laura said.

Cindy took the dishes and set them on the table, along with everything else. After a few more minutes, they were seated down, around the table. A brief prayer was said and then they all ate. There was conversation between the eating. it was mostly asking Lauren and Landon how they felt about graduating the next day. Emileigh and Bryan were also being interrogated about when they were going to finally be an item. They were in for a great surprise. When they were all done with eating, the cleaning process started. Everyone cooperated. Some of them picked up the dishes, then there were others that cleaned the table, then again others washed the dishes.

After all of that, they all went to sit in the living room. They had been talking for a while when Bryan  stood up. All of the attention immediately went to them. Bryan was the one who talked first. He looked at everyone before starting. But he mostly looked at Cindy and Lauren, since Cindy was Emileigh's sister, and Lauren was the niece that Emileigh loved with all her might.

"I have an announcement to make." Bryan said at last.

He looked over to Emiliegh, who was still sitting. Then he turned to Cindy and Kyle, with more emphasis on Cindy and then to Emileigh. He was pacing back and forth and he felt the sweat start to form on his brow. This was the most difficult thing he had ever done, but he had to do it. He really wanted to do it. 

"I'm just up here because I have something really important to say. You all know how I was gone went to the military and all that stuff. Well, throughout that time, I met this awesome girl. She would write to me, despite the long months that passed by. And that to me, meant the world. We knew each other pretty well and well, we kind of took it to another level."