Chapter 37: Secrets

*******IMPORTANT: Holy shit. TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS SELF HARM AND DEATH BY SAID SELF HARM. I'm sorry. I forgot I wrote this. What the hell?********

Landon and Lauren were sitting in their secret place in the park. Lauren still hadn't told Landon about her mother or her ex-boyfriend for that matter.

"My mom left." she blurted out.

Landon turned his head in the direction of Lauren's voice. "When?" he asked her.

"The same day that I left your house."

"Oh. I see. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. She's the one who decided to leave. She hasn't even called and my dad and Aunt Emileigh are pretty worried. Daddy tried calling my grandparents, but there was no answer and we're pretty worried. I know that she probably just doesn't want to be bothered, that she needs her space, but it's not fair that she hasn't called at all."

"She might be the one who decided to leave, but I know that you're hurting more than you let on."

She looked up at him. There was no possible way that he could have known that. It was true, though. She was hurting more than she allowed herself to show. There was no way he could have known that, though. She knew he used other different senses, but this just showed her how amazing he still was and much more.

"How did you know that?" she asked him.

Landon shrugged. "I've been hanging out with you long enough to know how you're feeling."

Lauren looked at him. "I don't even know what to say to that."

"You don't have to say anything." he smiled at her, making the butterflies erupt in her stomach.

"Yeah."

"How is your aunt dealing with the whole situation?"

"To tell you the truth, I think she likes it better when my mom isn't here. I think it gives her more time to spend with me and be a part of an actual family."

"Well, that's normal. I'm sure Uncle Bryan has sent her a few letters by now."

Lauren nodded. "They're really sweet, at least that's what she tells me."

"That's good. I think they would be a great couple."

"Yeah. I think they would be, too."

Lauren looked away from him. There was nothing she could do to stop her heart from pounding hard in her chest.

Landon noticed the silence, but he, too, stayed silent, for a while. Then without announcing anything, he asked her, "Can I trust you?"

Lauren looked at him and said, "Of course you can."

"A few years ago, I decided that I didn't want to continue living like this. I didn't want to keep living in a world that didn't want me in it. I was tired of always getting called names and being the outcast just because I was blind.

So one day, I found a knife or something close to a blade. I knew this because it was sharp and I found it as a great weapon to use. I was so disappointed, so unhappy that I had decided to just end my life. I asked for a sign, something to show me whether I was making the right decision.