Chapter 27: Hangout Day

The next day, Lauren woke up first and she made breakfast for the family. They all came down and were surprised to see that breakfast was already served.

Landon was the first to speak. "Lauren...you didn't have to do this."

Lauren knew that he was trying to be kind but she wanted to do it. "It's the least I could do for the people who have helped me through these tough times of mine. You guys deserve this and much more."

Landon walked his way over to Lauren. When he was sure that he had found her, Landon searched for her hands. When he found them he took her hand and with the other hand he felt his way around and stopped when he found the chair. He let go of her hand there and told her gently, "Sit. It's the least we can do for you, since you made us breakfast."

As he was walking away, Landon's hand brushed Lauren's arm. Sparks shot through Lauren's arm and Landon felt the sparks ignite, too. They both did their best to ignore the sparks and act like nothing happened. After all, Landon's entire family was there.

The truth was that Landon's family had no problem with that. In fact, they wanted Lauren and Landon to be together. They made such a perfect couple in their eyes. Nothing would have made them happier if Landon and Lauren would come with the news that they were dating.

Now they all saw how appreciative Landon was being to Lauren. Her son was a gentleman, Laura observed. And it made her proud to know that her son wasn't mean and cold. She was sure that if it had been any other boy, he would have been very cold and resentful. There was no saying in what could have happened, but she was thankful that it was Landon and not some other boy who was her son. She realized she sounded very mean, but it was nothing but the truth.

They all sat down around the table and began eating the breakfast that Lauren had made. The food on the plate was eggs, mixed with ham and a few quesadillas on the side. And the drink was lemonade. There was no doubt that they all loved this kind of breakfast in this morning. It was usually what Laura always made and to tell the truth, Laura was surprised that Lauren had read her mind to what she was going to do today for breakfast. It really shocked her.

They finished their plates and for once since Lauren got to the house, Laura washed them. Everyone else dispersed throughout the house to start cleaning. Bryan went to the backyard. There was really nothing to clean out there.

So he went back inside. Lauren and Landon went upstairs to clean the rooms up there. Lance went to the kitchen. The only place left was the garage. So Bryan went there.

An hour later, Bryan, Lance, Laura, Landon and Lauren were sitting in the backyard with glasses full of lemonade. They had worked hard for at least an hour but it was totally worth it. The house looked as if it shined afterwards. Everyone except for Landon and Lauren announced that they were going back inside the house.

When the glass door slid shut, Landon turned his head to where he smelled paint. "Remember that time I promised you that I would take you downtown or someplace?"

Lauren nodded. "Yes."

"Want to go today?"

Lauren looked up at him. Landon's face told her that he was being serious. She smiled and then she gave his response. "Sure."

"Okay, then. We'll have to catch the light rail. But make sure that we sit on the right side. Last time, I say on the side that was facing the front and they were going in the opposite direction. I felt like I was going to fall out of the seat."

Lauren laughed. She noticed that Landon always made her laugh, even in the toughest of times. And that was one of the things she loved about him. "Yeah. I'd like that."