Bonus Chapter #1: His Proposal

This chapter is dedicated to MissMillie for reminding me that bonus chapters were a thing. I thank everyone for reading my book. I really appreciate it. The engagement ring is above. Just imagine it in gold and a blue topaz heart shaped gem instead.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He'd never been so nervous in all his life. The only reason his hands weren't visibly shaking was because his hands were on the steering wheel. It hadn't even happened yet and here he was losing his shit. This was nothing compared to when he told her what he felt for her. Even though proposing wasn't as hard as confessing feelings for the first time, there had been times when even those that seemed happy were rejected when they popped the question. Four years had passed by so quickly.

Lauren was sitting in the passenger seat looking out the window. However, she could sense something about him was off. She didn't expect a thing. She was oblivious to the box that held the ring that would seal the deal in her boyfriend's pocket. "What are you thinking about over there? It seems like you're in a completely different world than I am."

"I'm here with you. Just thinking about what could go wrong." he said. He wasn't completely lying to her. This was true.

Her smile turned into a frown. She immediately thought that he was worrying about the surgery. "It's been four years, Landon. I think it's safe to say that your sight won't leave you again."

Landon nodded. Then he reached over to her hand, making sure that his eyes remained on the road. They weren't going too fast, but he wanted to take all the precautions necessary so that they wouldn't die. "You're right, sweetheart. It's been so good this whole time, you know. I really just love being with you and I'm scared that it will all go away."

"Don't think like that. I'm pretty sure that by this point, there's no way we're ever breaking up."

"Good." he said, hoping that her response meant that she would say yes to his proposal. He honestly didn't know what he was doing. He had had a plan where everything seemed perfect. But everything went so wrong at the last minute and so he had to come up with something on the spot. It must have been so lame, but this was the only thing that he could organize as last minute.

He would take her to her favorite spot on the beach. He hadn't remembered how they had found that spot, but it turned out to be the best one. The water was so clear there that you could see all the fish and critters swimming around. He'd gone there only a few hours earlier. He hoped that nobody had found his table. That would be really bad and then he wouldn't know how to get out of that. It was a long car ride. It was nearly an hour before they got to the exit.

Once they got out of the car, Landon was so happy that he was able to stretch his legs out. The weather was lovely. The sun was out, there wasn't even a trace of clouds in the sky. This means that they could walk. This would be the perfect way to end up at the exact place. First, he had to get the cooler out of the car so that they could have something to eat. Everything around him was basically working in his favor.

After grabbing the cooler, he made sure to grab Lauren's hand. There were so many thoughts running through her mind. Landon was acting weird. They've been together for four years and had known each other for five years. This wasn't the usual Landon that was carefree and usually cheerful. Was it really the fact that he could lose his sight? She knew that there was a possibility, but she had talked to the doctor. According to him the chances of that happening were slim to none. So he really had nothing to worry about. Could it be that he was going to break up with her? Her heart skipped a beat at the sudden thought. That couldn't have been the case. He had been happy when she mentioned that they were probably not going to break up at all. So then what was it?