Chapter 19: The Meeting

Lauren woke up to have the ceiling staring back at her. She was tired, but not as tired as she had been before. Hmmm, she thought. What am I going to do today? she thought.

She threw the covers off of her and went towards the window. She pulled the curtains apart from each other and she looked outside. It was cloudy. She opened the window and she felt the cold wind wake her up completely. It's summer and it's ridiculously cold, she thought. It wasn't like this yesterday. And shouldn't it be really hot? I mean, it's summer.

She went to take a shower then and she went over to her closet. Looking around, she finally decided on a turtleneck gray long-sleeved shirt and a pair of skinny jeans, and some boots. Then she went downstairs and joined Emileigh, Cindy and Kyle at the table for breakfast.

Cindy noticed her daughter come into the kitchen first. "Hey sweetie." she started. "Did you sleep well?"

Lauren nodded and then added," Yes, Mom. I slept absolutely fine. I'm less tired today than I have been any other day."

"Well, that's great sweetheart."

Lauren smiled and nodded. Emileigh got up to go to the stove and served Lauren's plate. Emileigh walked over to where Lauren sat and placed it gently in front of her. Lauren looked up at Emileigh and gave her a warm smile. Emileigh gave her a wink.

It was then that she remembered the conversation from last night. Memories flooded her and she blushed a little thinking back on how the conversation had ended. She was sure of it. She was sure that she didn't like Landon. It was just something she wasn't used to. That was the reason why she had felt that warmth. She was used to being alone. She wasn't used to it, so that's exactly why she was so confused by having all these feelings that she hasn't had before.

'But you felt like everything was okay. How do you explain that?' her heart asked her.

Shut up, Lauren thought. You're not helping. You don't know what you're saying.

Emileigh looked at her and said, "I didn't say anything."

Lauren looked at her and looked confused. Then she realized with horror that she had spoken out her thoughts. She looked at her parents and they, too, were looking at her with a confused look on their faces. She tried to smile, but it was already awkward. So she changed the subject.

"So, guys. Ummmm...have you guys looked for a school that I will be able to attend next school year?" she asked nervously.

That question made her parents forget about the confusion and they started smiling once again. "Yes, we have. We already sent all the papers and everything. You're good for the next school year."

Lauren smiled and inwardly screamed, "Yes! Yes!"

Lauren loved school. She loved learning new things everyday. It was one of those things that she couldn't explain. People always thought that she was weird because she loved to learn. Tests were another thing completely. She hated tests because they made her nervous. There were other things she was better at, but tests were not one of her strengths.

Lauren finished up and she brought her plate to the sink and washed it. Once she was done, she checked if anyone else was finished and she picked up their plates, too. After they were all finished, Lauren told them that she was going to go out for a walk.

"Okay, sweetie. But be careful, okay?" Cindy told her.

"I will." Lauren responded.

With that, Lauren headed towards the door and unlocked it. The cold wind hit her immediately. Thank goodness the shirt I'm wearing is thick or I would be dying right now, she thought.