Chapter 20: Landon

"Come on, Uncle." Landon begged his uncle to get up so that they could jog.

"It's too early," Bryan groaned.

"Come on, Uncle. I'm going to rip the covers off of you." Landon warned.

Bryan thought that he was joking about the whole thing but when he felt Landon grab for the blanket, Bryan realized that Landon was not kidding. Bryan jerked up quickly in bed. "Okay, okay. I'm up. I'm up."

Landon smiled a little and said, "Good. I'm all ready."

Bryan chuckled and turned to look at Landon. Landon wore a confused expression on his face. "What?" he asked.

"You remind me of Spongebob. I mean, seriously. It's kind of funny." Bryan said.

"Okay? Ummm....fine. But hurry up."

"It's seven in the morning, Landon. I'm supposed to be asleep right now."

"I know, but you and I need a work out."

Bryan looked at Landon in disbelief. Bryan approached Landon and poked his arms and his stomach. His stomach was hard to his touch and his arm felt pretty toned. "What are you talking about, Landon? You're pretty buff, dude. You even have abs!!!"

"It's part of my daily routine. I'd do it with my brother but he left to work early so all that I have left is you." Landon explained.

"Oh. I see. Okay, fine. But wait in your room or somewhere until I get ready. I feel like I'm going to explode right now. This is why I need my sleep."

Landon immediately felt guilt. He felt bad for waking him up so early in the day. "I'm sorry, man. I didn't know that it was this bad."

Bryan looked at Landon and saw the guilt mirrored on his face. "It's okay. I'm fine with it actually. I needed to run more anyway. And now I have a buddy to run with."

When Landon heard these words, his mood lightened up immediately. "I'm sorry," he said, "but thanks for being willing to run with me."

Bryan looked at his nephew and smiled a small, tender smile. "Of course, Landon. You're my family."

Landon smiled. "Okay. I guess I'll wait for you downstairs then."

Bryan nodded, although he knew Landon couldn't see him. "Okay," he whispered to Landon.

Landon walked out of the room and went downstairs. He walked to the living room and he sat down. He thought about everything that he's been through. He thought about everything Lauren had done for him and he didn't know how he would ever thank her. There were so many things he wished that he could change. He would give anything to go back to the day of the accident and change the outcome of it. If he could, Landon would go back and save his dad and maybe even save himself from hitting his head. He would make sure that his dad would still be there and that way his mom would not have to cry every day. But he had also not heard her cry anymore and she seemed fine. Maybe it was because he just wasn't paying attention.

Bryan walked in and announced his presence with his reply, "Okay. I'm ready. Let's go."

Landon sprang up to his feet and followed his voice. "Let's go then." he added.

Bryan looked at Landon. "So how are we supposed to do this? You stay close to me and I make sure that I don't lose you?"

Landon nodded and replied, "Pretty much."

"Okay."

Bryan and Landon went out through the front door. Bryan looked from left to right and asked Landon, "Which way do you want to run in?"