Chapter 30: A nightmare

"Daddy?" Lauren asked when she opened the door.

She found him sitting there with his face in his hands.

"What did I do wrong?" he asked.

"It wasn't your fault, daddy. It was mom's decision." she said to him.

"She's acting different. I don't even know who she is anymore. She has changed."

"I know, Daddy. And I think it's all my fault."

Kyle got up and went over to his daughter. He brought her close into a hug. "This was not your fault sweetie. It never was."

Lauren's eyes had already filled with tears. "But it was my fault. She got mad because I was friends with Landon. She hated that he was blind and because of that she started acting differently."

"Please, baby girl. Don't blame all this on yourself. If it was one person I never expected to react in the way she reacted, it was your mother. She surprised me in every way. But I found that during her high school years, a blind boy took her best friend. And she was killed because her blind friend couldn't protect her from those thugs."

Lauren understood then why it was that Cindy had reacted to Landon in the way she had done. But it didn't explain the way she had acted towards Laura.

"But Daddy, that makes no sense. I've never seen her like that. Ever."

"I know sweetie. You should go check on Emileigh. She's a bit shaken up."

"Okay." Lauren left upstairs and left her bags inside. Before she turned around to check on her Aunt Emileigh, she went up to the window and parted the curtains. She looked over to Landon's room. She saw that his curtains were open and he was there. At the same moment she realized this, Landon came to the window. Lauren's heart skipped a beat or two. She had no other choice than to turn around and leave. There was nothing she could do. If she waved, Landon wouldn't see her and she knew it wouldn't be of any use to open the window since his wasn't opened. She couldn't deny to herself that she missed being there with the Valentines, especially with Landon. Girl, she thought, get those thoughts out of your mind. Aunt Emileigh time.

As she got to Emileigh's room, Lauren heard cries. She knocked on the door and she said, "Aunt Emileigh, it's me. May I come in?"

"Yes," was the faint answer heard through the door.

Lauren pushed the door open and she went inside. When Emileigh looked up, she had a big bruise that ran from her chin to the tip of her side burn. Lauren gasped, "What happened?"

"Cindy." was all she said. "She saw that I came this morning with you guys and she slapped me across the face with I don't know what. It left this bruise."

"Oh Aunt Emileigh!" Lauren ran to Emileigh giving her a hug. "I'm so sorry."

"I don't know what's wrong with Cindy. She's had a drastic change. Hopefully a few weeks at our parents' house will do her some good."

"I'm scared." Lauren confessed. "I'm scared that she will never be the same. I don't understand why Landon has affected her so much. I don't understand it."

Emileigh hugged her. "Don't worry, sweetie. Everything will be fine. The reason she's reacting in the way she is is because of a childhood memory."

Lauren nodded. "Yeah I know all about it. Daddy already told me, but it doesn't explain why she went over to Laura and cussed her out or why she wanted to slap her or Landon."

"Don't worry, Lauren. I'm sure everything will be fine by the time she comes back."

"I hope so."