Chapter 41: Decisions

Kyle walked into Lauren's room. Emileigh was hugging her and he could see that Lauren's shoulders were shaking. He stood in the doorway and then he spoke to Emileigh. "Em, can you leave me and my daughter alone please? I need to talk to her."

Emileigh looked at him and then at Lauren who nodded her head. Then Emileigh turned to Kyle and said, "Of course."

She rose from the bed and walked out, but not before giving Lauren a bear hug.

As soon as Emileigh exited Lauren's room, Kyle closed the door and went over to the bed to sit next to Lauren. But then he decided it was better if he faced her.

"Hey sweetie." he started.

"Hey, Daddy." she whispered.

"I would ask you if you're okay, but I know you're not."

Lauren looked up at him. "Why is she doing this to me?"

Those words broke Kyle's heart. He knew how close Lauren had been to her mom. It wasn't as close as she was with Emileigh but they were still pretty close. "Baby girl, I don't know. Maybe it has to do with something that happened a while ago when your mother was a teenager."

"What happened?"

"In school, there was a blind young man whose name was Harold. Your mother liked him very much. Her best friend, Molly, had planned to take Harold away from her. Harold had told Molly that she liked Cindy. Cindy overheard the conversation and she was pretty happy about it because she liked him, too.

But Molly had a huge secret. She liked Harold, too. And so she planned to take him away from Cindy by lying to him. She told him many lies about her. And instead of asking Cindy if they were true, Harold believed all of the lies. Eventually those lies were the same ones that made Harold force himself to take her out of his heart and instead fell for Molly. He even asked her to be his girlfriend.

When he realized what a bad person Molly actually was, it was too late. Cindy had already taken all of what Molly had done into hate for each and every blind person out there.

I didn't know this until her own parents called me a few minutes ago."

"So she's doing all this to me because of something her supposed best friend did to her?"

"Unfortunately, yes. I hate that she's doing this but I can't get through to her."

"What should I do?"

"Well, if you're here while she's here, she's going to keep treating you like this. If you ask me, I think the best thing is for you to go back with Landon and Laura for now."

"Really?"

"Yeah. But it's up to you. I'm not forcing you into anything, but think about your well being and your sanity."

"Should I start packing a few things?"

"If you're thinking about going over there again, then yes. But don't stay over there the whole time. You can always come back. You're going to be living there for now, but this is still your house."

Lauren hugged him. "Thanks, Daddy. You know I love you right?" she looked up at him.

Kyle looked at her and gave the slightest of nods.

"I love you, Daddy. I love you so much."

"I love you, too, sweetie. And I know that even with the way your mom is acting towards you right now, she loves you, too."

"Can you help me pack a few things?"

"Sure. Just let me know what you want me to get and I'll help you."