Chapter 29: The Departure

Emileigh, Lauren, Landon, Lance and Laura were all at the airport. Bryan was again in his uniform. The day for him to go back had now come.

Laura was hugging her brother like her life depended on it. "Be careful, okay, Bryan? And you know you'll always have a home here."

Bryan smiled at his sister. "I love you, Laura. I promise I'll do everything in my power to come back safe. I won't ever leave you. This I promise you."

Laura smiled and kissed her brother's cheek. Then she stepped back as Lauren, Landon and Lance said their goodbyes to Bryan.

Emileigh was the last to say goodbye. Over the last two weeks, Emileigh and Bryan had spent a lot of time together. Bryan felt something different whenever Emileigh was with him. It was because of what he felt for her that he was going to try to do everything that he could to keep coming back. Emileigh was beginning to trust him and she couldn't deny that she felt safe around him.

Emileigh hugged Bryan. There was some desperation in the hug. "Write to me, okay? You know my address."

Bryan nodded. "Okay. I promise I will do just that."

"You're like my best friend, Bryan. You better come back, okay? Whatever you do, you need to come back."

"Don't worry, Emileigh. I'll do whatever I can to come back."

"Okay. I'm going to miss you."

"Me, too." Then Bryan paused for a few seconds, looked away and then looked back at her. "You'll wait for me, right?"

Emileigh looked at Bryan. She understood the question. "Yes. I promise I will."

Just at that moment, there was announcement that Bryan's plane was about to take off. It was then that they announced that the passengers should begin to board the plane.

Bryan turned to all the people he cared about and gave each one of them a hug. When he reached, Emileigh, he whispered, "Thanks for listening to me. I promise I'll write to you."

He let go of her and immediately missed the warmth that had once been Emileigh. He began walking off, then as he was about to board, he turned around and waved.

Everyone there waved back at him. Emileigh and Laura had tears in their eyes. Landon and Lance and even Lauren were trying not to cry in front of everyone else. Lauren looked at Landon. She knew how much Bryan meant to him. She was sure that Bryan and Landon were like best friends. She could see it in the way they interacted with each other.

Laura, Emileigh and Lance walked in front of Lauren and Landon. Lauren took Landon's hand in hers. Landon immediately turned his head to face Lauren.

"I know how much he means to you, Landon. Everything will be just fine." Lauren comforted him.

"Yeah. I hope so." he added. He was worried as to what he had said when he had talked to him a while back. He understood that Bryan was scared but when he had said he didn't want to come back, he had been serious.

"Don't worry about it."

"I think he likes Emileigh."

Lauren nodded. "And I think Aunt Emileigh likes him, too. So...you see. He's going to come back because he needs more time to figure out what he feels. And Aunt Emileigh needs to know how she feels. She's been through a lot and trust me when I say that trusting Bryan is a huge step for her."

"I heard him say that he was going to write to her."

"Really?" Lauren looked up at Landon.

"Yeah. He's never written to anyone. Not even me. So that definitely means a lot."