Chapter 49: Sister-Brother Time

Lauren received a call from Brett. She was sure that maybe her dad or her aunt had given it to him.

"Hello." she answered.

"Hi, Lauren. It's me, Brett." the other person answered.

"I know."

"Okay."

"So what's up?"

"I want to spend time with my little sister on Christmas, is that too much to ask?"

"No. Where do you want to meet?"

"In front of the house and then we could go out to the park. It's very relaxing."

"Okay, I'll be right out."

"Okay, I'll be waiting."

Lauren hung up and told Landon that she was going to go out to see her brother. He said sure but he told her to be careful. She nodded and walked away. When she opened the door to the house, she saw that Brett was standing at the edge of the grass. He looked up at her when she closed the door behind her.

"Hey." he said.

"Hi." she answered.

"Want to go to the park now?"

She nodded. It was definitely better than standing there in the middle of the street. The walk to the park was silent and they ended up sitting on a bench that was situated in front of the playground. There weren't any kids out here. It was Christmas, they were probably too excited and anxious to open the presents that were left under the tree for them by Santa Claus.

She looked at her brother. He was definitely older, but not in the obvious way. It was more of the way he acted. If it had been five years ago, he wouldn't have been able to sit still, which was what he was doing now.

He was looking away from her for a while. It took him quite a long time for him to look back at her.

She waited for him to say something, but there was nothing being said.

"How are you?" he broke the silence after a few seconds more.

"i'm fine." she answered.

"You?"

"I'm good."

"That's nice."

He suddenly turned his whole body to face her. He opened his mouth to say something but Lauren beat him to it.

"Why did you leave?" she answered.

The question had caught him off guard. He wasn't expecting that on Christmas. "Lauren.."

"I want to know." she said. " I need to know why."

"I was stupid. I thought that being away from you guys would be better for me. I went into the military for four years. But I witnessed so much grief and violence I couldn't do it for another four years."

"You could have stayed." she said as she looked away. "We would have helped you out."

"Lauren, I know you're still mad at me. I know, but if I had stayed I would have made things worse."

"You don't know that."

Brett got up and stood, then squatted in front of her. He wanted to her to look at him. When she didn't even turn his way, Brett reached out to touch her face and turn it towards him. He knew that she wouldn't be able to look away. It had been something that he had noticed since they were little kids. She couldn't look away if someone was holding her face.