Chapter 25: The Walk

Lauren and Landon were upstairs listening in to the conversation that was happening downstairs in the living room. They both knew that what they were doing was wrong, but they wanted their favorite and only uncle and aunt to actually be together. Lauren grabbed Landon's hand and squeezed it because that was the only way that she could get her message across to him.

She whispered to him, "They're going on a walk!! We should follow them."

Landon turned his head towards the voice. "We can't do that. That's wrong. Let them do their thing and then we'll ask later." he whispered back.

"But-"

"No buts, Lauren. Now come on. Let's go back inside. Let them do their thing."

~~~~~~~~~

Emileigh and Bryan walked out together and walked in the same direction. "Where do you want to go?" Bryan asked Emileigh.

"Anywhere quiet." Emileigh answered.

Bryan knew just the place. They walked to the restaurant where they had gone for their first double date.

Emileigh looked at him with confusion on her face. "I said I wanted somewhere quiet."

Bryan smiled to himself and then he answered Emileigh's unasked question. "This is a quiet place. It's not very busy in the mornings since many people are sleeping in or going to work. I always come here when I need to think. I usually do it in the mornings, when everybody else is asleep. It's a great place to be."

Emileigh studied Bryan as he said this. He was looking beyond her, obviously distracted. It was as if he was saying this in a forced manner. He hadn't wanted to tell her that, she knew, but it meant a lot that he did. In many ways, Bryan reminded her of her ex-boyfriend, the one who ruined her life by breaking her in the worst way possible. But there were many other things that made Bryan stand out.

The complete honesty in which he said and did things was something her ex-boyfriend didn't have. The look of pain in his eyes told her that he had much that he didn't want to say. But something also got to her. She saw something else in his eyes. It was worry and disgust and it seemed like he was always looking over his shoulder, like he was afraid of something. This behavior she didn't understand. Emileigh knew Bryan was a soldier, but she didn't think it was that. Or was it? she thought to herself.

Bryan came out of his trance and looked at Emileigh. It was obvious that she was deep in thought. He stood there, waiting. Throwing glances at her every once in a while. He wondered what it was that those eyes touched with pain were hiding. He wanted to know her story, why she had come here in the first place.

She was beautiful, he thought. Her eyes were capable of seeing right through you. He knew this well. The first time that Emileigh had looked into his eyes, Bryan felt that she already knew what was going on. It was something that he had never experienced before, especially when meeting a girl. She was definitely different.

Snap out of it, he thought. You're not going to get anywhere with her. You've already got problems. No girl will ever want to be with you.

He looked up and saw that Emileigh was just looking at him. He smiled at her and then asked her if she was ready to go inside. She nodded and he led her to the restaurant.

When they walked in, there was nobody inside. Only a few employees were cleaning the tables, and mopping the floor, so that it would be ready by the time that the restaurant got busy.

Bryan turned to Emileigh and once again smiled. "I told you it was quiet."

Emileigh let out a small laugh. "Okay....okay. I was wrong, but don't judge me. I've never been here before."