Chapter 16: Laura

Laura looked outside, waiting for her son and her brother to get home. She was worried that Landon was out late in his condition. All she ever did nowadays was worry about her son. Landon always wanted her to stop worrying, but she was his mother and her job was to worry about her son, especially since he was blind. She knew that Bryan was with Landon but she just wanted them to get home already. It was getting late. In the meantime, while she was waiting for Bryan and Landon she looked for things to do.  

Lance had gone on a trip with his college friends. Besides the fact that it was summer, those friends of his always kept in touch with him. Laura knew each and every one of Lance's friends. Over the years, Lance would bring them to the house, mostly one at a time. And then when she planned a birthday party for Lance, she would just call them to invite them to come and spend some time with all their friends. They were all good guys and she liked them. Never once had she heard them cursing in the house or any place, for that matter. But she guessed that was because they were different when Laura was around. She knew this because she would act the same way when her parents were around but then go crazy when they weren't. 

She walked upstairs to her room, and found her album with pictures of the whole family. Since there was nothing for her to do since she had cleaned the house more than three times while waiting for Bryan and Landon to come home, she picked it up and carried it to the living room. She let herself fall down on the sofa. She sat cross-legged and placed the album in her lap. This was always hard for her: she always ended up in tears after looking through the album. But this time, she vowed not to cry. She took a deep breath as if bracing herself from a blow and then opened the album. On the first page there was a picture of her and Liam. Liam, she thought. Liam....I..I need you more than anything right now. I need you to comfort me like you always did. The picture on the first page was of them together a few years before they were married. Liam and Laura dated for six years before they decided to get married. What Laura loved about Liam was that he was always patient with her; he always took it slow, he took it at the pace that Laura preferred. She couldn't count the times that many of her own friends had to break up with their boyfriends due to the fact that they didn't respect her decisions. Laura had always been thankful that Liam was not one of those type of guys. She couldn't imagine Liam any other way. In the picture, Laura was smiling at the camera but Liam was making a funny face at her. He was sticking his tongue out at her and crinkling his nose at the same time. Laura had tried so hard not to laugh while looking at the camera, but she couldn't hold it and a few seconds before the picture was taken, Laura burst out laughing. So she's looking at the camera but she's laughing her head off. These memories made her eyes fill up with tears and she had only seen the one picture.  

The next picture was an ultrasound of Lance. On the next page, there was an ultrasound of Landon. There was a memory of the day that she had found out that she was pregnant. Being a mother had been her dream since she was a teenager. Of course, she wasn't like the type of girls who thought that having a child was easy; she knew it was hard, but she concluded with the statement that it was going to be worth it. When Liam found out, he was ecstatic. He never complained about both babies being boys. She knew of other husbands who did. Honestly, as she looked through the pictures of her husband and her, she realized that he had seemed too perfect for it to be real. If she had told many of her friends that they would have told her that she was reading a romance novel and that it was getting to her head. But Laura knew this wasn't true. Liam was great, everything that she ever hoped for and dreamed for. With him, she formed a family, she formed a home. They were supposed to grow old together. 

"We were supposed to grow old together," she whispered to the picture of Liam on the next page of the album. "We were supposed to see our boys grow up together. We were supposed to see them get married together." Tears were already running down her cheek as she touched Liam's picture. But she didn't let it get to her. She wiped away the tears and breathed in deeply. She was determined not to cry as much as she did every time that she looked through the album.