Chapter 50: The Almost Kiss

By the time that the two weeks of break were over, Brett and Lauren had renewed the relationship that they had before Brett had abruptly left. There was nothing better than that feeling. But one thing did not change. Lauren still lived with Landon. This drove Brett crazy but he knew that it was for her own good. She was the one who chose it so she could manage. And besides, Brett was sure that Lauren liked Landon. 

Lauren woke up yet again on the bed. She groaned as soon as she heard the alarm. After two weeks of not going to school, and of not having to wake up early, she didn't want to go back to the usual routine. But she found that Landon was awake and walking about the room. 

"How can you still wake up this early after those two weeks we had off?" she asked, her voice a little raspy. 

Landon turned his head in her direction. "You could say that I'm a morning person." he answered. 

At this response, Lauren groaned once again. "I don't understand how you do it. I just can't do it." 

Landon chuckled. Lauren always made his mornings a ton better. He was definitely going to miss her when she decided to go back to her own house and sleep in her own room. 

"What are you thinking about?" she interrupted his thoughts.  

"About the fact that I'm going to miss you when you decide to go back to your own house." he answered truthfully.  

Lauren blushed, It seemed that nowadays, blushing was all that she could do whenever she was talking to Landon. It was a new experience and it made her feel different but at the same time, it made her feel uncomfortable, because he had such a huge effect on her.  

"It's okay. I don't think that will be anytime soon." she added. 

Landon approached the bed and sat down on the edge. "You're going to have to go back eventually." 

Lauren looked at him. "Are you kicking me out?" 

"No, no , none of that. But you can't stay here forever. I'm sure you miss your dad and your aunt, and most of all. I know you miss your mom as well." 

Lauren looked away. He was saying the truth. "I do miss them, but I'm not ready to go back. I'm still angry at my mother. I understand that maybe this triggered a bad memory but she went too far." 

"Lauren, we all make mistakes. Nobody's perfect. Yeah, she was wrong, but you know what really matters?" he paused to let her think about it for a few seconds. " She apologized. I know that it doesn't seem like a big deal, but the people I met, the bullies that take advantage of me or hurt my feelings, they never apologize. To apologize means to swallow one's pride and go admit to someone that you were wrong. That's never easy, especially if you possess a huge ego." 

Lauren thought about it. "You're right, Landon. I know you are, but I can't get over the fact that she went that far. She hurt me, Landon, something a mother should never do to her kids. It wasn't the slap, I didn't care about that, it was the rejection. That rejection because I was doing something that was right. It was the implication behind her actions." 

"I understand. I do, but think about it this way: what if the roles were reversed? What if you were her and she was you and after you did all that, you went to apologize to your daughter and to her friend. Her friend forgave you, but she hasn't. How would that make you feel?" 

" You forgave her?" 

"I try not to keep anger inside of me. That's never good thing. One thing I do know, though, is that she was sincere, and there's something great about sincerity."